MTB in the Alps: Livigno

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
chinup

MTB in the Alps: Livigno

Post by chinup »

Just back from our second expedition and thought to share something of what is available:

Livigno is in the Italian alps, close to the border with Switzerland. https://goo.gl/maps/DuU7nXejgoE2
The town is high at 2000m and you can cycle up to 3000m on the local routes.

I would say this is for the more energetic mountain biker.
Really beautiful scenery and very well developed for cycling.

There is some weird tax incentive such that things are cheap: e.g. diesel Euro 0.77
Hotels and food are also reasonable especially when you compare to Switzerland.
You can hire quality bikes - and you need them!

Downside: it is 10 hours from Calais and not close to any airport.
Verona, Munich, Zurich, Milan are all about as far.
Never saw another english person there.
EddyP

Re: MTB in the Alps: Livigno

Post by EddyP »

I have been there and it is excellent! I flew into Verona and went up to Trentino and did some exploring - it really is a beautiful part of the world. It is true that you don't really come across many other English people, sometimes that is a bonus though. :mrgreen:
EddieJ

Re: MTB in the Alps: Livigno

Post by EddieJ »

I haven't been to Livingo, but I do like to spend two weeks of the year using Luterbrunnen in Switzerland as abase for my mountain bike riding.

Everything is a climb, but that is what I go for. :)

Just one example.. 10.4 miles of continuous climb, with an elevation gain of 6,428ft

The ride down was plain crazy, although it was this Youtube clip that inspired me to tackle the ride in the first place. I learnt a couple of lessons from it. Film clips do not show true steepness or drops, and I also forgot that Tom had used a cable car to get up there!

It doesn't get much better! :)