Looking at new bikes

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
dave6681

Looking at new bikes

Post by dave6681 »

Looking at getting a mountain bike but struggling between the Trek x-caliber 7 or Cannondale trail 4 (both 2016 models) I'm not new to this but at the same time i'm not a pro either so would be fairly happy sticking with a hardtail bike for woodland trails and dirt tracks etc with the odd bit of on road riding
dday

Re: Looking at new bikes

Post by dday »

Sticking with hard tails on entry level bikes is a good choice. I don't ride extreme, but I do spend a lot of time on brutal rocky trails. Both those bikes look good, one a bit heavier than the other, and the differing wheel sizes suggest you should get some time on both if it's possible. On my last mtb purchase, I was certain on the bike I wanted until I spent some time riding each. As much as I wanted that bike, I ended up with another strictly based on the test ride. Even the price break on the older year model couldn't overcome my ride preference.

I'll wager you won't tell the difference in wheels, you might in the weight, but feeling the bike over some obstacles will help you decide. And if not, go for the best price!