Looking for a mountain bike but lost

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
mtech

Looking for a mountain bike but lost

Post by mtech »

Hi,

Sorry if this is in the wrong area. I am posting here as when ever I have gone to bike shop for advice on what to buy they just try to sell the highest cost bike they can to you can don't give you any information. Which is expected.
I don't know if this is the forum would give advice like this but i though it was worth a shot.

What Mountain Bike do you recommend for around £300 (I know you can't get much for this but that all my parents are willing to spend) for things like tracks on Dartmoor and forests? I don't know much but i think 650b wheels would be best as I'm tall and will not be doing really tight turns and not too long distances. This is probably sounding really noob to you, sorry.

Thanks,
Max
Bonefishblues

Re: Looking for a mountain bike but lost

Post by Bonefishblues »

At or around that price this is often recommended. Reviews are outstanding:

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... nk2-_-29er
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

Bonefishblues wrote:At or around that price this is often recommended. Reviews are outstanding:

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... nk2-_-29er

But thats £600 ......................

Have a look at this 'and' its 650b http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... ntain-bike
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Sorry Max, misread your budget as £500! That's what you should get at twice the budget :lol:

I'd also look on the secondhand market
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
You don't need much for Dartmoor.
Was in Halfords today and some bikes reduced, bound to be a bargain, you probably need to spend about 250 - 350.
I have toured all dartmoor has to offer on this (Halfords 1996 £ 250) with no suspension-
Attachments
dart004.jpg
dart005.jpg
dart007.JPG
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

How about this in the "foresale section":-
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=109662
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

cycleruk wrote:How about this in the "foresale section":-
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=109662

The OP said he is tall and the bike listed is a 17", so not likely to be suitable?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Do look 2nd hand: I just got a practically unused £500+ Cannondale for £300 on Gumtree.

Sizing is a strange game these days, with inch/cm based distances not meaning much with compact frames, and most MTB builders quoting in XS/S/M/L/XL, and frames taking quite a range of heights My 'dale is a "L", according to most online size-suggesters I'm an M but one had me as an S, and having tried an S at the local junior cycling club I'm a coach at, no way! I use Ms there, but the seat is near the top, and on my L I have plenty of standover height and it feels okay riding: like jackets tend to be, I think I want an "M and a half"...

My (almost) new one replaced a nearly 20 year old rigid EBC one. Cost £350 back in the day, but days have moved along and any £350 MTB you get these days that hasn't fallen in to the trap of offering too much for your money (i.e., full suspension) would be better in just about every way than my old one. And my old one did the sort of thing you want to do without much trouble.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...