Why are Bikepackers shunning Rear Panniers ?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
amediasatex

Re: Why are Bikepackers shunning Rear Panniers ?

Post by amediasatex »

Water is not light.

yes, but the key bit in there is 'when all other capacity has been maxed out'

Fork cages are normally used for bulky and light, but some people have been known to use them for a couple of additional bottles when on a long trip, and the frame bag is full, all other cages used, especially since sleeping bags and tents can be too big to go on forks and still leave clearance in singletrack, but a bottle tucked behind the leg is fine, it's a compromise and they really are a last resort!

Unfortunately bikepacking does not work for me ...
An 8 day trip ... means 10 days of food at 1kg per day + 3.8 litres of water (I expect to get water during the day... but no food).
+ camping gear, cooking gear, + a little clothing, camera, PLB, GPS, maps, towel, soap, first aid kit ...
:( there is just too much of it.

That's another example of starting to confuse bikepacking with a normal tour. If you're away for 8 days, in a place where you cannot acquire food along the way so have to carry it all from the beginning, then you're already into the grey area of it not being a normal mountain bike ride with a few sleeps, but being into the realms of a small tour.

Also, a lot of it comes down to your own personal level of 'comfort' in terms of how minimal you go, for example you say 'cooking gear' now I don;t know what you take, but for a committed bikepacker cooking gear might consists of:

- a 750ml mug
- a micro stove (or homemade one from a drinks can)
- a spork

both of the second items fit in the first so the space and weight requirements are tiny, again, I don;t know about your 'camping gear' but a committed bikepacker going out in spring/summer might take:

- a lightweight (600g) sleeping bag
- a bivi bag (350g)
- a small mat (400g)
- a tarp (300g) (no poles, you use the bike for that)

That's your entire shelter AND sleeping system in roughly the same weight as a one man tent alone, all of which can pack into a single seatpost mounted pack and still leave room to spare for some extra night time layers or some food. Do you really used 3.8l of water per day? I normally work with 2x750ml bottles, if you can refill along the way you only need enough to get between refills (+ a reserve) so 5 bottles seems a bit overkill, but it depends where you are, civilisation or wilderness, if you're bikepacking then you're probably expecting to pass through a town or village at least once or twice a day, if you're in a place when you won't then your requirements will be very different and I don;t think anyone would consider ultra light bike packing for that kind of trip.

Sorry if I'm saying stuff you already know, but I'm just trying to highlight that it's often not that 'bikepacking doesn't work for you', but that you're not 'doing bikepacking'

When I'm doing a different kind of ride I take a different approach, panniers, tent, bigger stove, a couple of pots, more clothes etc, and use different luggage accordingly, it really is about horses for courses, a single or couple of nights away on the moors is a different kettle of fish to 8 days away from civilisation.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Never tried bikepacking but I've done a lot of backpacking. There's similarities i think.

I have different equipment for backpacking that i select according to the type of trip I'm doing. A week in the Scottish highlands self supported and without re-supply I'll take a large rucksack with two metal stays and about 50 to 65 litres capacity (15 litres expansion). It's half full of food and a few extras

Other trips include overnighters in my own neck of the woods, the lakes. I've been known to take a 20 litres rucksack weighing 4.8kg or so. IMHO bikepacking is equivalent to the latter style of backpacking. Touring in civilised areas is closer to the former style of backpacking. Expedition tours are even beyond the former backpacking style in that you'll likely need more safety stocks in terms of clothes, food and water.

This whole thread seems to be a matter of definition and choice. Define your needs to define your style. Need load carrying for long tours on roads and trails like forest tracks. A rack might be a good option. Overnighters over mountain bike trails/singletrack or a few night trips Then bikepacking setup with lightweight kit. Imagine a sub-6kg base load contained in dry bag on bars, seatpost and frame bag. There's no need to have a rack for that. If you're carrying more and you're needing bags on forks, top tube bags, bags/bottles in cages slung under downtubes, etc then perhaps you need the extra space a rack offers or you need to lose bulk/carry less.

My backpacking load became very minimal. Food, shelter and warmth. I kept warm in the sleeping bag and by eating. I kept moving through the day but when i stopped i only ate then slept. Moving kept me warm in the day, sleeping bag when cooking and sleeping in the evening. It meant less stuff is needed like extra warm layers because the sleeping bag was good for that. IMHO that's the kind of mindset of bikepacking. Minimalist. You're about the ride. The rest is only about surviving.

I've heard of experienced backpackers going out in winter with summer weight sleeping bags using vapour barrier layer to see just how little they needed. It's an extreme form of being in the outdoors. Bikepacking has an element of this too.
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

Similar here, I have everything from a small ultralite bar bag based on a dry sack to a bob yak trailer, with everything in between, you pack according to the specifics of the trip and your needs.
PH

Post by PH »

There's some info here on the aerodynamic advantages, not an exact science as the author points out, but still I though pretty significant
http://www.cyclingabout.com/speed-diffe ... g-results/
Labrat

Post by Labrat »

amediasatex wrote:That's another example of starting to confuse bikepacking with a normal tour. If you're away for 8 days, in a place where you cannot acquire food along the way so have to carry it all from the beginning, then you're already into the grey area of it not being a normal mountain bike ride with a few sleeps, but being into the realms of a small tour.

Also, a lot of it comes down to your own personal level of 'comfort' in terms of how minimal you go, for example you say 'cooking gear' now I don;t know what you take, but for a committed bikepacker cooking gear might consists of:

- a 750ml mug
- a micro stove (or homemade one from a drinks can)
- a spork

both of the second items fit in the first so the space and weight requirements are tiny, again, I don;t know about your 'camping gear' but a committed bikepacker going out in spring/summer might take:

- a lightweight (600g) sleeping bag
- a bivi bag (350g)
- a small mat (400g)
- a tarp (300g) (no poles, you use the bike for that)

That's your entire shelter AND sleeping system in roughly the same weight as a one man tent alone, all of which can pack into a single seatpost mounted pack and still leave room to spare for some extra night time layers or some food. Do you really used 3.8l of water per day? I normally work with 2x750ml bottles, if you can refill along the way you only need enough to get between refills (+ a reserve) so 5 bottles seems a bit overkill, but it depends where you are, civilisation or wilderness, if you're bikepacking then you're probably expecting to pass through a town or village at least once or twice a day, if you're in a place when you won't then your requirements will be very different and I don;t think anyone would consider ultra light bike packing for that kind of trip.

Sorry if I'm saying stuff you already know, but I'm just trying to highlight that it's often not that 'bikepacking doesn't work for you', but that you're not 'doing bikepacking'

When I'm doing a different kind of ride I take a different approach, panniers, tent, bigger stove, a couple of pots, more clothes etc, and use different luggage accordingly, it really is about horses for courses, a single or couple of nights away on the moors is a different kettle of fish to 8 days away from civilisation.

I think this is a massively insightful post, really useful.

There's nowhere in the UK, and few places in mainland Europe, where you're more than a couple of hours from potable water and a food shop - the idea of setting out for a tour carrying ten days food with you all the way as suggested above just seems ridiculous, heavens, the Chindits didn't even take that!
Last edited by Labrat on 31 Mar 2017, 12:36am, edited 1 time in total.
venturefurther

Post by venturefurther »

I've alway used a rack and panniers when carrying gear on my bike but I'm going to be using rackless luggage on my bike for the first time this weekend. The biggest challenge I've found so far is pairing down my kit to reduce the weight and volume but I'm pretty confident the bike will handle way better for it, especially off road. If anyone's looking for advice on how to pack bikepacking bags, there's going to be a workshop on it at The Adventure Cycle Festival

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels