Why are Bikepackers shunning Rear Panniers ?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
3spd

Post by 3spd »

.....people willing to use Gorilla Cage or Anything Cage style set ups but seem to shun traditional rear panniers?
My worse day on my bike is better than my best day at work!
Bonefishblues

Re: Bike packers why are......

Post by Bonefishblues »

Because less flapping? Because closer to CofG? Because fashion?
3spd

Post by 3spd »

I believe the fashion statement but less flapping!
My Gorilla cages move more than my carradice panniers and rear panniers are nearer the cranks than my forks.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

You can't compare Gorilla Cages mounted on forks to rear panniers, maybe to front panniers though.
Gorilla cage weighs a lot less than a rack and panniers.
Heltor Chasca

Bike packers why are......

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Because small framed MTBs like mine have short chain stays and the washed out gulleys and droves round here will have you stuck like a cork in a bottle. Rear panniers would be sticking out the back so forget your nice distribution of weight near the rider. I also use my MTB to play on so I want the front shocks to be in use so no front panniers either thanks.
3spd

Post by 3spd »

Helter that doesn't explain the advantage of basically very small panniers on the front but the shunning of rear panniers.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

3spd wrote:Helter that doesn't explain the advantage of basically very small panniers on the front but the shunning of rear panniers.

Really? I didn't think I'd set about explaining the advantage of front panniers at all. In fact I think they are a disadvantage to me, my bike and where I ride. I think you missed it, but in my post I said, '...I also use my MTB to play on so I want the front shocks to be in use so no front panniers either thanks...'

Panniers (front and back) might be fine on canal paths or similar, but in my mind (and experience) they aren't designed for the washed out droves and gulleys round here and in the nearby Mendips.

Not really up for a debate. I can only go on my experience and what works on my particular frame. There are many ways to skin a cat. What I prefer, the next rider might just hate.
hamish

Re: Why are Bikepackers shunning Rear Panniers ?

Post by hamish »

I ride a Pugsley with frame bag and panniers on a rear rack. They sit quite high and never give any problems in terms of width. I use them because I don't like a big roll on the handlebars and a seat pack isn't big enough for all my stuff without a front bag.

I use it for off road touring that all others call bike packing. Apparently I'm not hike packing because I use panniers...
3spd

Post by 3spd »

Hamish :lol:
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Bikepacking, off-road touring, randoneering or whatever you want to call it doesn't matter. you're a cyclist enjoying your ride. Why the negativity over what luggage style you use? Get real and grow up. It's your choice what you use. Don't be negative on other people's choice because it's different.

BTW if it's fashion then it's a fashion that has its beginning before panniers i reckon. Look around the internet, I'm sure you'll find bikepacking styles in use from the earliest days of the safety bicycle.
3spd

Post by 3spd »

Tangled Metal, I was interested to know if there was a technical reason why the width is okay at the front but is detrimental at the rear.
I understand the fashion thing, i.e. not looking like your grandparents when touring.
Boring_Username

Post by Boring_Username »

I considered a bikepacking rear pack earlier this year, as an alternative to buying a new pair of panniers.

I rarely need luggage so do not have a rack fitted as part of my ordinary set up. An advantage of the bikepacking solution was to avoid the hassle of fitting and then unfitting the rack?

Lazy I know.
3spd

Post by 3spd »

When I used this set up I found when parking it wanted to tip over more compared to panniers.
Attachments
2920178033.jpg
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Drifting slightly off the OP's original question if I may:

Audax is an interesting bag as it's the older participants who set the trends unlike MTBing. I'm in my 40s so probably younger than the average Audaxer. I'm also very new to Audax. My guess is that these older riders have experience, knowledge and nouse so use what is best for the long haul. My observations at the last ride I went on, was that there were quite a few 'bikepacking' seat packs dotted about amongst the starters. There was also an Italian rider with ONLY front panniers.

I don't think you will get a finite answer. Luggage systems are as varied as breakfast cereals. Whatever is best in your bowl.
Boring_Username

Post by Boring_Username »

Heltor Chasca wrote:My observations at the last ride I went on, was that there were quite a few 'bikepacking' seat packs dotted about amongst the starters.

A fair point - a Carradice Barley saddlebag could be described as 'bikepacking'