MTB flat pedals - any recommendations?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
AMMoffat

MTB flat pedals - any recommendations?

Post by AMMoffat »

I currently use these: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.MKS-MT-Lux-Comp ... _18204.htm pedals with toe clips on my mountain bike on road, bridleways and farm tracks and I'm very happy with them. However, they are not really suitable for use on more challenging off-road routes like mountain trails/paths which I encounter cycling off-road in the Scottish highlands - the sort of stop-start terrain which makes toeclips impractical. I feel I might be better off with double-sided flat pedals but have no idea where to start with these.

Does anyone have any views on the types of pedals that might suit my need and any recommendations for specific pedals that would be suitable without spending vast amounts of cash? I will be using them with these Northwave mountain bike boots: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nort ... lsrc=aw.ds. Due to issues with my knees I doubt that I'd get on with a clipless pedal system.
squeaker

Re: MTB flat pedals - any recommendations?

Post by squeaker »

Switched from SPD to these on my MTB a year ago. Brilliant! Used with ordinary walking boots - can be hard on the shins, though :roll:
Last edited by squeaker on 31 Jul 2018, 10:19am, edited 1 time in total.
"42"
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

DMR V8 stick to your shoe like glue, cheap, serviceable, durable. I have a couple of pairs.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Paulatic wrote:DMR V8 stick to your shoe like glue, cheap, serviceable, durable. I have a couple of pairs.

+1 Me too. Well apart from the fact that unlike Paulatic, I only have 2 feet, so I only have one pair.
Labrat

Post by Labrat »

As above, v8 are the benchmark flat pedal - serviceable, and with grease ports too!
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

I hate flat pedals, but if I were to use them, then the DMR V8 would be my choice.

SPD Shimano XT all the way for me.
hufty

Post by hufty »

+1 for the Nukeproofs, but also to mention that a nice soft grippy soled shoe really makes a difference as the spikes dig in better. Both I and Danny MacAskill wear fiveten shoes, although when they get wet (usually about 5 minutes into a ride) they double in weight.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
colin54

Post by colin54 »

If cheap is what you want ,how about ' Brucey's Choice', the bearings do need a bit of adjustment from new in my experience

( too tight ).Wellgo V8 copies.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=112368

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/well ... rp-prod563

I use Shimano MX80 on my most used bike, bit expensive though, cheapest seem to be at Chain Reaction.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod82557 (Plenty of reviews)

They stick out about 13mm more each side from the cranks than the Wellgo V8's, ( catch the sides of ruts more),

also the pins have washers underneath them which need removing to grip the shoe sole more efficiently in my experience.
Nu-Fogey
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I think I'll give the Wellgo V8 copies a go as I'm far from convinced that flat pedals and I will get on and they are a cheap option until I'm sure. As Squeaker pointed out, and I've experienced on the only occasion I've used them, on a hired mountain bike, they to seem do be "shin shredders". That may explain why I've taken so long accepting that I need them on my mountain bike.
K1chd

Post by K1chd »

Nukeproof electron evo flats. They grip my hiking boots. They grip my running trainers. They grip my casual trainers. For the best results get some biking shoes that have a slick sole as in no grip. To test the sole try and dig your finger nail in the sole. The softer it is the better they will be with the nukeproof flat pedals.

I think I saw someone comment on this thread with the same view and they are 100% right. Just be careful with some biking shoes tho as they are great to look at but crap with water/rain. (Wear seal skinz socks to eliminate)

Great pedals tho but they are sharp on the shins if you make a mistake!
Alan O

Post by Alan O »

Until recently I'd only ridden road bikes with quill pedals and clips and straps, and an old MTB a long time ago with half-clips - I hated flat pedals.

Then I got a second hand modern MTB a few months ago, intending to replace the flat pedals with ones that would take half clips, but I took it out a few times first to try the new flat pedals.

And I immediately loved them - I wear fairly rigid-soled trainers on my MTB, and the pedals stick like glue. I had no idea what brand the pedals were until I read this thread and I went to have a look - and they're DMR V12.

I've got nothing to compare them with among modern pedals, but I'm certainly not parting with them.

Alan
easthantsxc

Post by easthantsxc »

+1 for the DMR V8s - have owned pairs of these on all my bikes and they're a solid, reliable piece of kit.
esuhl

Post by esuhl »

I don't have much experience of different flat pedals, but I recently bought the Wellgo B143 flats, and I really like them.

They have a big flat surface, mount holes for reflectors, and the pins grip shoes perfectly well without being so sharp that I've had any problems with them cutting my shins when I've bashed them.

I ride my bike everywhere -- both off-road, on-road, so they suit me perfectly.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

+1 for DMR V8s
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Heltor Chasca wrote:+1 for DMR V8s

Two + 1s now HC :D
Does that mean you've two pairs now :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info