Want to start mountain biking - what bike model should I buy?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
krystians

Want to start mountain biking - what bike model should I buy?

Post by krystians »

Hey,

I am new to this forum - I would like to start my adventure with mountain biking and I am a newbie in this matter. I have been doing some research on bike model I could buy, but there is so much info on the topic that it is mind-blowing.

That's why I came here to seek advice from people who are passionate about it, I think it is better than reading commercial stuff.

I wouldn't like to spend more than 700 pounds.

Also, what's with the breakdown cover/insurance? Does it work the same as in the car industry? Is it totally optional, or do you recommend to get it before I start riding?

I will be grateful for your advice.

Best,
Krystian
Threevok

Re: Want to start mountain biking - what bike model should I buy?

Post by Threevok »

Hi

It would help to know what kind of mountain biking you are into, as there are different frame types for different applications

Are you looking at general XC (eg fire roads / single track) type of MTBing, or more demanding disciplines like Enduro or downhill ?
hamster

Post by hamster »

It's really difficult to generalise, a lot depends on where you live nad what kind of riding you have in mind.

At £700, then avoid the temptation to buy a full suspension bike, as it will be significantly compromised to hit the price. Front suspension is enough.

Essentially, for riding on forest paths, bridleways etc then 120mm suspension is ample (well overkill really). Many of the the MTB magazines write as though you would die riding to Tescos without 150mm of travel front and rear. :lol:

I would try to find something with 100-120mm fork with hydraulic disc brakes. Personally I'd look for a Kona, because I like the way they handle, but GT, Giant, Specialized, Canyon, Marin, Pinnacle, Felt and Cube are all good brands. Don't discount Decathlon's BTwin either.

You will probably get a lot of advice from people who want you to buy exactly what they have. Try before you buy and think hard about where you intend to ride so you have some idea of what will suit.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

This isn't a MTB forum.

Um... it is according to the forum index

Board index < Cycling < Mountain Biking
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

As and far as the OP question goes, I'd suggest that "which model" isn't really the right question.

I think the key question is "Where to buy from"

For someone who doesn't know much about the subject, I'd recommend a local bike shop. They'll give you good advice and point you in the right direction. They'll probably also be much more likely to be helpful fixing or fettling your machine when it goes wrong than they would if you rock up with something bought elsewhere, but will almost certainly cost a little more than an equivalent online/halfords/decathlon "bargain".

If you spend £700, as long as you don't get a machine with rear suspension, you'll have a very decent bike.
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

well i like these threads, but i'm not as clued up as half the people here. what i say is mostly emotional. (incidentally, you might get that from the clued up people too!)

for that price i'd recommend a brand like voodoo or some other small british brand whose name i cannot remember because i don't own one (this advice came from bike radar, i am a bit suspicious when they a cheerleaders for branch stores, but, well it certainly chimes with my results, and i could have gotten burned!)

imo your style is going to be "limited" by your price range. for reasons others mentioned, cross country seems like your best bet. (i say limited but i mean refined 8) )

there's a chance that would bore the hell out of you though so i'd watch some races on youtube. i aim for XC on my commuting bikes, for perspective ha

EDIT noticed i said CX instead of XC... so i changed it to say XC instead of CX.
Last edited by ChrisOntLancs on 8 Apr 2017, 7:40am, edited 1 time in total.
Grarea

Post by Grarea »

I have always enjoyed a bit of off road.

I am no expert, but I agree with getting a hard tail for that money.

Anyway, all this full suspension malarkay, I don't entirely get it.
Isn't the idea to get out on the rough stuff?
Why then buy a bike that then makes all the bumps feel like smooth tarmac?????

Sorry, I digress, yes, it all depends what it is that you want to do.
If it is tow paths type off road, consider a Cyclo cross perhaps and then you can get to places quicker.
But an MTB with decent front suspension is great fun.

If I were you, or rather, if I were in your position, I would do what I did.
I bought some second hand bikes and just went and played.
You then find what it is you do and don't like and what the shortcomings (to you) is of a bike.
It helps to narrow it down. Then you look for a bike that fits your criteria.
You can then sell them on at little loss.

There are so many good bikes around now.
It is hard to narrow down and the differences are quite small and the range is enormous.

Also don't forget you can upgrade individual parts over time to suit you.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Check out some of the Cube MTBs on Tredz. High specs for the price and even better for your wallet if you go for last year's model.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

Like others have already said, unless buying used, then forget a full suspension bike at that price bracket.

Okay I am biased as I own three KTM mountain bikes, but leaving that biasness aside, you will struggle to find a better spec of mtb within that price range, than the superb KTM Ultra 1964. The following link is purely an example and not recommendation of seller. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KTM-Ultra-196 ... 1862905465

The one thing that I would say, is that to my mind the frame sizing comes up a touch on the small size. But again it largely depends upon what your own preference for bike bike feel.

This is my own Ultra. :) https://www.ukxcnews.com/reviews/race-t ... 1964-2015/ It bought it ex demo, which could be another option for you. It can save a massive amount of money, and in the process get you a higher spec of bike. There must be lots of shops that have ex demo bikes of varying make for sale.

edit... Looking back through a few old mags, perhaps also take a look at the Saracen Mantra Trail (650b) and Canyon Grand Canyon AL 29 (29)

squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Grarea wrote:Anyway, all this full suspension malarkay, I don't entirely get it.
If only it did :roll: :lol:
IME rear suspension improves grip on bumpy climbs, and takes away some of the big hits, making all day riding more pleasurable.
YMMV, of course.
"42"
jk49

Post by jk49 »

+1 for the voodoo bizango, bought mine in january, good condition second hand, taken front mech and shifter off and changed tyres to more mud based and ridden it through the winter. Its a great bike and very forgiving, compared to the 26" I was riding
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

Here you go for some hard-tail ideas......

http://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/hardtail/m ... view-video

The Voodoo sounds like a good start. For your price range I'd get a hard-tail then see how much you enjoy mountain biking, then if your riding suggests a FS bike you'll be able to save whilst still enjoying mountain biking.
I've found that I really need two bikes for different conditions. For fast flowing single track nothing beats a hard-tail however when it starts getting rocky a FS bike comes into its own.

Regards,
Grarea

Post by Grarea »

squeaker wrote:
Grarea wrote:Anyway, all this full suspension malarkay, I don't entirely get it.
If only it did :roll: :lol:
IME rear suspension improves grip on bumpy climbs, and takes away some of the big hits, making all day riding more pleasurable.
YMMV, of course.

This opinion of mine is clearly based on very little knowledge.

:D

I like my hardtail and haven't tried a decent full susser ever actually.
Only years ago and a cheap one.