Derailleurs? Gears and all that stuff?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Gavzooka

Derailleurs? Gears and all that stuff?

Post by Gavzooka »

I'm looking at my first semi-decent mountain bike purchase as per my other post. A few have suggested that I look on Evans and other retails instead of just Halfords...probably a wise move but now I'm left with a bit of a problem. Namely, specs.

I'm not sure what to look for in terms of getting the best experience as an almost 40 year old overweight beast of a man trying to get fit again. I've nailed 2 bikes to the deck so far (albeit they are £20 mass produced bikes from Ebay/Facebook) and I'm now looking for something a little more capable.

I've read these SRAM NX / GX 1x11 gear sets are good but don't understand why and what advantage (other than less to go wrong) they have over the normal front/reear derailleurs setups. But just the same, I don't understand what the advantages are over the different derailleur setups there are? Why would I need 30 gears or why is a 2 x 10 setup better than others?

I kind of get the difference between different brake setups. I almost understand the different suspension types too for the front forks at least (and that's all I'm after now) - although, I really like the name of Rockshock and I'm drawn towards them...don't know if they're good though :-)

It's just these gear things...Can someone guide me to a good explanation of the differences/advantages/cons of each or even advise on what I've detailed above? what would be good advise for someone starting out (again) ? As I hear the SRAM GX 1x11 are good and there's a bike in my range that has them with other (what appears to be) 'good stuff' on it, is it worth me chasing them?

Thanks in advance...
Threevok

Re: Derailleurs? Gears and all that stuff?

Post by Threevok »

1 x 11 setups are quite expensive and mostly aimed at the Downhill/Enduro market, so I wouldn't think that would be for you

2x setups are the basically the same as 3x setups, but with the smaller "granny ring" removed to make them lighter. However, these are also more expensive (less is more ?????)

I suggest you stick with a 3 x 10 setup - at least until you get your fitness up to scratch. It's cheaper and you have the granny ring to bail out to, on those killer hills.

You mention you are a "beast of a man". In that case I would be looking at coil suspension forks, rather that air sprung, as the latter do have weight restrictions. Even though modern air forks have improved over older versions, you could still find yourself popping the seals quite often.

The difference between manufacturers of forks is a mostly a matter of personal taste. Personally, I prefer Rockshox as they are cheaper and easier to maintain than Fox. There are some other manufacturers like Manitou and X-Fusion who also do some nice forks, although I have no experience of those.
Gavzooka

Post by Gavzooka »

Threevok wrote:1 x 11 setups are quite expensive and mostly aimed at the Downhill/Enduro market, so I wouldn't think that would be for you

2x setups are the basically the same as 3x setups, but with the smaller "granny ring" removed to make them lighter. However, these are also more expensive (less is more ?????)

I suggest you stick with a 3 x 10 setup - at least until you get your fitness up to scratch. It's cheaper and you have the granny ring to bail out to, on those killer hills.

You mention you are a "beast of a man". In that case I would be looking at coil suspension forks, rather that air sprung, as the latter do have weight restrictions. Even though modern air forks have improved over older versions, you could still find yourself popping the seals quite often.

The difference between manufacturers of forks is a mostly a matter of personal taste. Personally, I prefer Rockshox as they are cheaper and easier to maintain than Fox. There are some other manufacturers like Manitou and X-Fusion who also do some nice forks, although I have no experience of those.

Thank you. Really helpful...so actually looking at what you've said, the price of what to buy may come down while I get my fitness up....although the saving may add weight to my pocket :-)

I was original looking at a £600 bike...something similar to this: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -team-29er

But that has the SRAM GX 1x11 setup and RockShox Recon 120mm air front forks and is around 12.6kg

Therefore, would you say something this may be more suitable: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... ntain-bike

It seems that it has the 'granny ring' as it has the Shimano Altus 3 speed front mechanism and Suntour XCM front suspension which seem to be coil based....it is a bit heavier at 14.5kg though...not sure if I'd notice that though other than when loading it on to the bike rack.

I heard that in some cases the 27.5" wheel is preferable too but unsure what that was based on....

I say "beast of a man"....I'm 6' and just under 20 stone....not sure what the weight limits are as can't find them...

Thanks again...
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

The Carrera is OK, but very low budget

What's your absolute top budget mark ?

As for rider weight, Rockshox don't really have a rider weight limit. However, they do warn not to exceed maximum air pressure limits for any of their air forks. As a result (at 20 stone) you may find that the amount of adjustable pressure available to you, may be less than available to me at my mere 14.5 stone.

I think 27.5" at 20 stone would be better than 29" too
esuhl

Post by esuhl »

I bought my first "half-decent" bike a few years ago, and I don't keep up with this stuff, so... make of that what you will. But...

I've been reasonably happy* with my SRAM X7 gears. They came pre-fitted on a £500 RockRider 8.1 bike I bought from Decathlon. They are in a 3x9 configuration, which works for me. I can't really understand the current trend for deliberately limiting the number of gears you have. Maybe it makes sense if you're racing or using the bike for a very specific purpose. But for a "does everything; goes everywhere; normal person" bike, it would take a lot of convincing for me to reduce the number of front chain rings.

* - I said I was happy with the SRAM X7 gears. Actually, while the front gears are fine, I upgraded the rears to X9 and shifting is so much crisper! I broke the X7s, and replacement X9s were literally a few pounds more. Definitely the best upgrade I've made to my bike.
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

Threevok wrote:You mention you are a "beast of a man". In that case I would be looking at coil suspension forks, rather that air sprung, as the latter do have weight restrictions. Even though modern air forks have improved over older versions, you could still find yourself popping the seals quite often.

Ignore the above, it is utter rubbish!