Voodoo Bizango

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
leadale

Voodoo Bizango

Post by leadale »

Hi All
I'm contemplating my first MTB at age 68 to maintain some fitness and get away from the fast roads and traffic. Been looking at the Voodoo bizango as about my budget, I'm 5' 10" tall, and used to riding a good road bike (Diamondback XR3) 700 wheels.I want to get the right bike the first time - has anyone got the Bizango and what is your opinion of it as an all rounder - I won't be breaking any speed records its just to enjoy some long rides say up to 30 miles over the hills and trails mainly in West Pennines but may go over to Europe sometimes. Any opinion on the Bizango appreciated - thanks mick
Lance Dopestrong

Re: Voodoo Bizango

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I don't own one, but they're popular machines with a rep for punching above their weight in price/performance terms.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I don't, but it was on my short list. I got my mits on an older Cube Acid which has great specs for the price. It has eyelets to attach a rear rack if the chain stays are long enough for you in the size you need. I have a 16" which is too small for you. But the geometry for your size is listed on the site. Tredz sell them new. Welcome to a wonderful world.
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

i don't have a bizango but i got the marasa hybrid and was really impressed with the quality, and as mentioned i do see a lot of voodoos out and about.

i like the specs, especially for the price. shame about that colour though :lol:
tom84

Post by tom84 »

Hello, I do have a bizango and it is a very sorted package and I like mine a lot. Over above the components its best features are the nimble geometry and the single-speedable rear dropouts, so it is versatile.

if you are not concerned with riding hard, going single speed or challenging trails then i might look elswhere for a bike with a better spec, that is light or is cheaper, although the bizango is great value. There are also loads of bizangos on gumtree and ebay for around 250, which is amazing. I would be tempted to 'tame' my bizango by buying a lightweight suspension fork, even carbon rigid fork, to lose the heavy 120mm suspension fork, if I was after a bike that was good off road but i was not much interested in going fast. elsewise i would only upgrade components when they wore out. it has a very capable set of components.
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

The Voodoo Bizango has now been reduced to £500, and I'm very pleased with it. http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... ntain-bike

This is the first mountain bike I've ever bought and apart from my fixed gear bike it's the cheapest cycle I own. After a few rides including a four hour trek of bridleways and byways I wouldn't bother to change anything. It's got decent tyres (Maxxis Ardent) hydraulic brakes (Shimano M355) an air sprung fork with a 15mm through axle (Suntour Raidon) and a 36X22 chainset with a 11-36 10 speed cassette. The gear shifters and mechs are Shimano Deore and the rear mech has a clutch. The wheels seem sturdy and even the saddle is ok. There's a good review of it here http://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/hardtail/v ... eview-2013

I bought it to tackle day rides along the rougher bridleways and byways that I found too bumpy on my Cannondale Caadx cyclocross bike. While the Cannondale is lighter and faster, the Voodoo is cheaper, has much better brakes, and allows me to get up (and down) the hills that I previously had to walk. I'm 6 foot 1 inch and the 20 inch frame suits me fine.
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

Just a quick update on my Voodoo Bizango. As the trails are still pretty wet and muddy I bought some grippier tyres to use. The rims on the Bizango are not marketed as tubeless ready but I have successfully fitted a pair of tubeless-ready Maxxis Minion DHR and DHF tyres. One wrap of Gorilla tape around the rim, Stans valves, and Stan's sealant. Easily inflated with a track pump with a bit of soapy water on the tyre beads. The tyres grip better but my bike handling skills are still falling short, unfortunately...
LinusR

Post by LinusR »