Saddles

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Kiwisue

Saddles

Post by Kiwisue »

I am taking part in the Tour of Aotearoa next summer which is the length of New Zealand in 30 days self supported. This means 100kms a day minimum so there will be many hours on the bike each day.
I am interested in the Brooks B17 S saddle and am keen to hear from women who tour on this seat. How comfortable for long days in the saddle and what is it like in the rain.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G935F using hovercraft full of eels.
hamster

Re: Saddles

Post by hamster »

Good to think about saddles long before the trip!

My wife has used a B17S for around 8 years now, she absolutely loves it. However, like all saddles it's an individual question whether it's comfortable. The good thing about a B17S is that the secondhand value is high so it's not disastrous to try it.

It stays dry in the rain (as she's sitting on it) and she uses full length mudguards. A plastic bag keeps it dry when parked.
Kiwisue

Post by Kiwisue »

hamster wrote:Good to think about saddles long before the trip!

My wife has used a B17S for around 8 years now, she absolutely loves it. However, like all saddles it's an individual question whether it's comfortable. The good thing about a B17S is that the secondhand value is high so it's not disastrous to try it.

It stays dry in the rain (as she's sitting on it) and she uses full length mudguards. A plastic bag keeps it dry when parked.

Thank you. I'll order one tonight and post my review on how comfortable in a few months time.

Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

If you are comfortable on a Brooks, it's likely to serve you well on tour. Just look after it according to Brooks' instructions.

However, the shape of the saddles doesn't suit eeryone, and many people find they take a while (200 + miles) to get used to / break in. If you are interested, the best thing is to try one. If you don't like it, you will be able to recover most of the cost reselling it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Kiwisue wrote:I am taking part in the Tour of Aotearoa next summer which is the length of New Zealand in 30 days self supported. This means 100kms a day minimum so there will be many hours on the bike each day.
I am interested in the Brooks B17 S saddle and am keen to hear from women who tour on this seat. How comfortable for long days in the saddle and what is it like in the rain.

If you're not concerned about the weight, I'd advise to give a look at the Brooks Cambium C15 carved.
Not been made out of leather, means that you don;t have to worry about rain or moisture, so the saddle won't "sink" even after hours cycling in the rain or mud. Good bike shops will have test saddles to try, find one and give it a go
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Kiwisue

Post by Kiwisue »

Thank you. The reason I have been hesitant to getting the leather saddle was keeping it dry. The West Coast of the South Island can be very wet

pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Proofide the underside as well as the top and it'll suffer less. I also have mudguards on my Brooks-equipped MTB, the rear held in place with a rack and that keeps the great majority of the cack off the seat.

I think a Brooks that's teamed with a basically Brooks-shaped posterior should be good from the start. Breaking in just makes it softer and even better. If you're the wrong shape then breaking in takes it from awful to tolerable.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

The problem I have with Brooks saddles is that, if you look at them from the side, they have a flat profile front to rear. If you are sensitive to perineal pressure, look to another saddle. Selle Anatomica, makes some nice leather saddles that don't require a lengthy break in period.