What's it Worth?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
DavidShush

What's it Worth?

Post by DavidShush »

I have a Specialized Rockhopper 2010 SL as seen here - https://www.specialized.com/se/en/bike- ... ersl/22904

Mines had some parts replaced due to wear and tear and is in a bit of a poor condition. Definitely needs new break pads, perhaps new rotors, wearing on the seat, wheels truing, new chain, new gear cables, break cables, handlebar grips, etc. I don't have the ability to do this, although I've tried...and failed. Unfortunately I also don't have the money to repair it so was wondering if it was worth me cleaning it up for pictures and trying to sell it?

I have a Hard Rock Pro Disc from 2002 which I prefer to use and needs some attention from my local bike shop, but I need money for those repairs, hence the sale of the Rockhopper.

Does anyone have any advice on how much the Rockhopper would be worth? If it's not worth anything(like the Hardrock)then I'll simply keep it and hope for better financial times ahead.

Thanks for anyone who reads/replies.
pjclinch

Re: What's it Worth?

Post by pjclinch »

An indication of typical values can be found by using eBay's Advanced Search feature and checking the Sold Listings options. Then you get to see what people have actually paid for whatever it is you're looking at, rather than what people are asking for or where the bidding's currently at.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

+1 for the above comment. Sadly for you, the 2nd hand MTB market is a buyers' market as it is saturated. If it were only a couple of years years old and in exceptional condition, you may expect 50% at best. 33% for a 5 year old bike in good nick. And sadly for 15 year old bike, you aren't going to get much at all I'm afraid. My own experience. Others may say otherwise. GLWTS.
DavidShush

Post by DavidShush »

Thanks for the replies and advice. After having checked on Ebay and found some examples I think it's probably not worth anything. Going to have to keep hold of it and hope I get some money together for repairs down the road.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

There are also some really worthwhile bike charities.

OR..(you'll hate me for suggesting this)

You could buy a frame like a Surly Troll, Ogre or ECR and build a truly exceptional tourer that you can also play with on rougher terrain.
DavidShush

Post by DavidShush »

Heltor Chasca wrote:There are also some really worthwhile bike charities.

OR..(you'll hate me for suggesting this)

You could buy a frame like a Surly Troll, Ogre or ECR and build a truly exceptional tourer that you can also play with on rougher terrain.

Ha, are you saying I should ask the charity for a bike or give it over to them? My current financial position would suggest the former, hence I wish I had the ability and money to build a new bike. I can change a chain, fix flats, but that's about it. Tried to replace a gear cable last week, went to change gear and the cable ripped through the casing! That didn't happen in the YouTube video I saw.

I need a back up for when something goes wrong so I can get to work, but for reasons only known to the universe I've found myself unable to afford repairs on either for a bit too long.

I do actually love the frame on my Rockhopper.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I'm with you on this. I've been there and occasionally I go back there. Accept my apologies about the charity suggestions if you took it the wrong way. I really meant that if your bike was going to rot away in the shed, it may be better donated to a bike charity. They do them up then sell them on. The ones I've dealt with don't make much in the way of a profit, but rather help those who exist on the periphery of society earn some money, some work experience and build self esteem.

In the past, when I've been short of cash and in need of parts, forumites on here have been a great help. In fact I think it isn't unknown for 'forum bikes' to have been built on here and other forums. I gave once away a stem and a saddle post that wouldn't have sold for much, but was useful to someone else.

Feel good stuff feels good.