Don't currently own an MTB but..

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
busb

Don't currently own an MTB but..

Post by busb »

...feel they are under-geared? I don't have a RV or even a car so would need to cycle on road from anything from 1 to 20 miles before reaching the rough. Those of you with newish bikes with either single or double chainrings care to set me straight?
al_yrpal

Re: Don't currently own an MTB but..

Post by al_yrpal »

They do have very low gears but the highest gear is about the same as you will find on a touring bike. You often have to cycle on roads to reach the off road bits and to cycle between them. Its not a problem.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

22/36 at my lowest end. I can crawl up little rock gardens fairly easily. Would be too low for anything I’ve done on my tourer (26/32) but perfect on a MTB.
busb

Post by busb »

Thanks both! Logic rather suggests that if they were too low geared, reviews would have put prospective buyers off. I'm rather relieved by your answers - I was beginning to wonder if the reason for such a radical change was the industry’s desire to boost sales by making previous gearing obsolete, rather than genuine progress. My off-road experience is rather dated in that my last S Works steel-frame bike had V brakes & a triple chainset with closer ratios than off-road riding strictly required.
Both my hybrid & newish so-called endurance bikes both have hydraulic disc so at least I’m benefiting from borrowed MTB tech without owning one!
drossall

Post by drossall »

They tend to have pretty wide ranges, especially on the cassette, and triples. This gives a very low bottom but still allows a decent top. By contrast, sports-oriented bikes will have narrow cassettes, and may only have double chainsets.
busb

Post by busb »

drossall wrote:They tend to have pretty wide ranges, especially on the cassette, and triples. This gives a very low bottom but still allows a decent top. By contrast, sports-oriented bikes will have narrow cassettes, and may only have double chainsets.

I keep a weather eye on MTB technology. Visit a large LBS & you will see pretty standard triples on sub-£500 MTBs but the more you pay, the more likely you will see 40T on the rear & less than 32T on the front that's just a single chainring. Giant's 2018 27.5" full-sus Reign 1 has a 12sp 10 - 50 with a 32 on the front. The differences in ratios will be coarse with just 12 of them but you are on the rough & not time-trialing so the chance of loosing the chain is minimal. A typical 29" hardtail would be 11sp 11 - 42 with 26 - 36 double chainrings.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

The current trend seems to be 1x11 and I wouldn't be surprised if that leaves you wanting bigerg gears for a long road spell, but mine (a couple of years old, low/mid range Cannondale hardtail) has a triple and I need to be going down a pretty big hill to worry about spinning it out. Do bear in mind everything needs to be a bit lower because you've got knobbly tyres to suck out energy.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...