A question for those running tubeless

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
busb

Post by busb »

If you deflate your tyres, do their beads remain sealed enough to use just a hand-pump to re-inflate them?
amediasatex

Re: A question for those running tubeless

Post by amediasatex »

Normally

But it depends on how good the seal was to begin with, and how long they've been on there.

A nice tight seal that's been in place for months will likely take actual effort to break the bead seal.
A not so tight seal on a tyre that's only been on a day or so might unseat when you deflate.

It also depends on method of deflation! letting the air out gently at home or a small puncture is much less likely to unseat than losing all the air quickly via a big pinch puncture and not coming to a halt quickly enough.
busb

Post by busb »

amediasatex - thanks!
That's sort of what I guessed at. The reason for asking is that I've just converted my hybrid's 700c wheels to tubelss (a baptism of fire in itself!) so was trying to work out the likelihood of being able to use so-called anchovies (or worms as some call them) in the event of a puncture rather than taking the valves off then using an inner.
I deflated my Giant Defy's front one & the tyre shrivelled a little but stayed on the rim but who knows what will happen if I get an instantaneous deflation - will have to decide accordingly. MTB tyres are a hell of a lot easier to get on & off than road tyres! It just would be nice to be able to do a roadside repair without taking the wheel or tyre off. In the 6 months of riding the Defy I've not had a single puncture, unlike my hybrid.
softlips

Post by softlips »

To hijack the thread but on the same theme.

Do you really need one of those tanks to inflate then the first time?

Also, should you change the sealant regulary? Some say yes others no.
sbcoombs

Post by sbcoombs »

softlips wrote:To hijack the thread but on the same theme.

You need to add rather than replace fluid. Anything latex based will dry out within 6 months and much quicker if you use CO2.
It also sweeps out of the many small punctured you may along the way as they seal.
Slime stays fluid longer than latex based products but still needs top up every 12 months.
A good tyre/rim match will pump up with a track pump but it’s not unusual to need a pressure shot of some type if you don’t work the bead on to the lip manually.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
busb

Post by busb »

softlips wrote:To hijack the thread but on the same theme.

The instructions with my tyres said to fill with sealant after seating the bead. I tried this with a JoeBlow track pump - no chance. Took the newly built wheel to where I bought it - they filled it with Schawlbe's Doc Blue then used a tank to seat the bead. If you fill with sealant 1st, you may get away with just a track pump. I tried to seat the bead without sealant using a newly bought AirShot - no luck so filled with sealant then tried again over my bath, worked fine without making too much of a mess.
I've just bought a 200ml syringe with tubing that I'll fit a straw to for extracting any sealant left in the 4 tyres - I will standardise on the same sealant to avoid mixing makes - they may well work together just fine but most of the point of going tubeless is the puncture resistance so don't wish to compromise that.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

softlips wrote:Do you really need one of those tanks to inflate then the first time?

Depends. If the rim is in true then a track pump and soapy water round the bead might be enough.

The cheapest options involve the mighty Singletrack forum 9p inflator, or taking wheel and tyre to the local petrol station and using the compressed air line.
sbcoombs

Post by sbcoombs »

If you’re using UST rims then absolutely they can be deflated and stay sealed. If not UST, it depends on the tyre rim combination. If the answer is no, I suggest adding a couple of wraps of rim tape.
busb

Post by busb »

I've ridden my hybrid all through winter without a single issue but I generally got very few punctures with new tubed tyres anyway so time will tell as the tyres wear. So far, the effort & expense of going tubeless has been worth it but the initial fitting was not fun.