Where are all the mountain bikers?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
MarcusT

Where are all the mountain bikers?

Post by MarcusT »

Why is this board practically abandoned?
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
yostumpy

Re: Where are all the mountain bikers?

Post by yostumpy »

Most have seen the light! and gone back to drop bar 'adventure bikes' or in other words....'Touring bikes :D
FREDO

Post by FREDO »

As someone who regularly checks this topic I think the same, I have recently returned to mountain biking from road cycling after an operation, and have become hooked again.

Living near Cannock Forest I had forgotten the freedom that mountain biking gives, by being able to go on any surface and in any direction during a ride, rather than having to stick to roads.

One of the reasons I think that it is under used is because there are a lot of forums just for dedicated mountain bikers elsewhere,
where users to this forum cover a range of bikes from touring to trikes and only a few I think do multibike rides regularly.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

FREDO wrote:
Living near Cannock Forest I had forgotten the freedom that mountain biking gives, by being able to go on any surface and in any direction during a ride, rather than having to stick to roads.

Up to a point, Lord Copper. I take it you haven't tried riding uphill directly across a heather-covered moor? :wink:
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

FREDO wrote:As someone who regularly checks this topic I think the same, I have recently returned to mountain biking from road cycling after an operation, and have become hooked again.

where users to this forum cover a range of bikes from touring to trikes and only a few I think do multibike rides regularly.

As I only ever sort by 'active topics' I never register what topic headings there are.
I regularly do a bit of mtb ing but as I’m still on 26” wheels and don’t have any suspension (Orange P7 from the nineties) I doubt I’ve anything current to contribute. The world of off road seems to have moved on and left me behind. :)
I know some cracking routes though :wink:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
FREDO

Post by FREDO »

pjclinch wrote:
FREDO wrote:

Up to a point, Lord Copper. I take it you haven't tried riding uphill directly across a heather-covered moor? :wink:

I have actually, have done a few tours of the Cairngorms from Braemar via Glen Feshie to Aviemore then via Ryvoan Pass to Nethy Bridge and via Glen Brown to Tomintoul, and as you say it can be very tiring and frustrating, i remember coming off a couple of times in Glen Feshie once near Eidart bothy and once trying to cross the feshie due to the path being washed away, at least with heather you have a soft landing. :lol: Happy Days.
FREDO

Post by FREDO »

Paulatic wrote:
FREDO wrote:As someone who regularly checks this topic I think the same, I have recently returned to mountain biking from road cycling after an operation, and have become hooked again.

As I only ever sort by 'active topics' I never register what topic headings there are.
I regularly do a bit of mtb ing but as I’m still on 26” wheels and don’t have any suspension (Orange P7 from the nineties) I doubt I’ve anything current to contribute. The world of off road seems to have moved on and left me behind. :)
I know some cracking routes though :wink:

Same as me i have a Giant XTC hard tail which is an old bike but it is solid as i mostly do X country rides 26" wheels are fine for me.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

Actually, I feel completely isolated from road bikers. From; everything-carbon to electronic shifters, there is a lapse if you have anything older than 5 yrs.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

'Other Forums' is the answer it would seem...
Si

Post by Si »

MarcusT wrote:Actually, I feel completely isolated from road bikers. From; everything-carbon to electronic shifters, there is a lapse if you have anything older than 5 yrs.

when I picked up some MTB mags for the first time in ages recently I felt the same about MTBers. In my day an entry to mid level bike was around £300-£500, now it seems to have an extra '0' plus loads of hydraulics everywhere!

I'm still on a rigid 1996 GT Zaskar single speed with P2 fork, and a Kinesis cross light of unknown age, also have a spare 1999 Zaskar Team Issue frame and RC36 fork in the shed :-)

But most of my off roading lately has been done on a dawes one down...which some might say is a vintage gravel bike but I tend to see it as a rough stuffer.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Same here - 1996 Orange P7 and a Kona Kaboom singlespeed I ride most of the time.

MTBing has repeatedly split into more and more silly niches, probably most people on here are riding their local forests and bridleways, for which a 20 year old bike is perfect. However most MTBs these days are total overkill for most trails ridden at the speed of ordinary riders. As such they are rather dull to ride in my experience. I sold my full susser, while it was phenomenally competent it took out most of the fun as you didn't have to pick a line, but could just stomp over anything..
Si

Post by Si »

Yep, when I moved here 20 years ago I had a fullsusser....around the local trails it took all the fun away so ended up rigid (although it did work well in the Shropshire hills where I used to ride it).

I now tend to ride off road to get away into the countryside, see the nature and the views, so I don't really do thrill a minute trail centres any more (despite being one of the founders of the "Follow The Dog" trail at Cannock...yes, I'm one of the few people who know why it's called that and it might have been me who used the phrase first - that's my claim to fame!). I think I've turned into an off-road tourist rather than a die-hard MTBer. Although I do still like a bit of cheeky single track now and then.
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

Like some of the posters on this thread, I sold my full susser - to be honest I couldn't do with the faff of keeping all the linkages and shocks clean and in good working order. However I've gone full circle and built up a rigid Genesis longitude mtb...I suppose this is the modern equivalent of my first mtbs, in the early 90s, (a steel saracen and orange C16r - both rigid & state of the art at the time!)

However, I have embraced 29" wheels - shod with 2.4" tyres I find the ride so much better than 26", as the wheels just ride over and through trail debris/undulations..I can also get much better traction climbing. I also have a 1 x 10 set up with a low gear of 30 x 42 - it's just so much easier - no front mech getting clogged up with mud or going out of index.

So I suppose what I'm saying is that, new MTBs aren't all super-complex, neither need they cost the earth (I built mine for about £750.00), however this bike has really got me back into mtb'ing and despite the lack of suspension, nothing fazes it and I'm smiling from ear to ear going out on it!

Going back to the original thread, I guess that's up to us to get some interesting topics going....I'll kick off...

"Where's your favourite off-road ride and why?" (post reply on new thread!)
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

MarcusT wrote:Why is this board practically abandoned?

With the weather you get in the UK, maybe mountain biking is not that popular with riding through the mud and slop all the time? Just a guess on my part because I live in a dry climate.
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

With the weather you get in the UK, maybe mountain biking is not that popular with riding through the mud and slop all the time? Just a guess on my part because I live in a dry climate.

Quite then opposite, the trails* have never been busier, even in winter I've been astonished at how many people I see out and about now. The mud and slop are part of what makes it fun and challenging for a lot of people, don;t get me wrong dry trails are ace when the summer comes round, but I'd hate to live and ride in a place what was dry all year round.

I'm pretty sure that it's got more to do with the demographic of this forum than anything else...

*the trail centres anyway, there seem to be fewer people out on the moors and in the proper hills, but that shift is a discussion for another thread!