Tyre recommendations

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
thelawnet

Tyre recommendations

Post by thelawnet »

What sort of tyres would you want on this?

ATM I have a set of 27.5x2.25" Smart Sam and 29x2.10" Rapid Rob. They are both fine really, but wearing out so not sure if I should replace with something different.

I try to keep out of the puddles & mud mostly. I cycle a fair bit on asphalt.
the_twin

Re: Tyre recommendations

Post by the_twin »

For that sort of stuff I would think you'd want something soft, wide and as slick as possible. No need for knobs if you're not going through mud.
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Looks like Indonesia? I've done a lot of cycling and off road in Sumatra. Depending on the route and terrain I would switch tyres if mainly on road or dry slicks would be fine and save my off road tyres for trails where I was planning dirt track and jungle paths especially if it was wet. I use 26" which I have no problem getting spares not always light weight .how do you find it with the 27.5 and 29"? Are they easy to find.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Yes in Sumatra, your photo looks like Lake Toba?

There's not an issue particularly with 27.5" and 29", I can get both sizes in the local builder's merchants, quite a lot of people have bikes & there's a cycle club with plenty of people with 'some of the gear and no idea'. Finding competent mechanics is more of a problem, and you can't necessarily choose from 300 varieties of suspension fork, or whatever, but you can find a Rockshox 27.5", or an XT shifter or just about anything really (but you might need to use mail order if you want something specific, e.g., local shop had SLX derailleur, but it was the old one).

It is mostly on road, I try to take the path of least resistance, but sometimes that is a completely unsurfaced road.
Paul20v

Post by Paul20v »

Hi
I run schwalbe super moto x tyres and they run on fire roads , cross country and trail centres even if damp and of course there great on tarmac too,
Obviously in wet mud they spin out easily but there not designed for that
People i go out with off road always tell me im mad but that has passed as they have been amazed by the grip they give , i must admit i didnt think they were going to be as universal as they are .