Dartmoor

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Phil66

Dartmoor

Post by Phil66 »

Going to head down to Dartmoor for a bit of cycling with the Mt Bike. Anybody got any info on good locations, campsites, routes. I'm more of a tourer than an off road cyclist so nothing too technical. I'm good with a map and compass though, so get me away from the crowds if you can.

Cheers all.
hondated

Re: Dartmoor

Post by hondated »

Phil66 wrote:Going to head down to Dartmoor for a bit of cycling with the Mt Bike. Anybody got any info on good locations, campsites, routes. I'm more of a tourer than an off road cyclist so nothing too technical. I'm good with a map and compass though, so get me away from the crowds if you can.

Cheers all.

Go on Phil re my post rub it in why dont you " I'm good with a map and compass though " ha ha :lol:
already YouTubing how to do it :wink: . Got to say I will be interested in the replies you receive as its something that appeals to me.
As much as I would love to take to the air and " whip " my bike sadly its never going to happen so your idea is a far better option.
Greenbuilder

Re: Dartmoor

Post by Greenbuilder »

Hi Phil,
I've ridden many of the bridleways on Dartmoor; it's been very good this year due to the lack of rain.
Look on the Dartmoor National Park website for info. on campsites, wild camping and mtb routes etc. Along with the OS 1:25000, there is also a very useful on/off road cycle map (Hartley?) with graded routes.
A lot of people use the campsite behind pub at Princetown and have breakfast at the excellent Fox Tor cafe.
You also have Plym valley and Granite Way cycleways, plus Haldon forest trail centre close by.
cheers
Tony