pennine bridalway

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
nick12

pennine bridalway

Post by nick12 »

I'm thinking about attempting doing the pennine bridal way next may. Will be taking minimal gear and a bike packing setup to carry my gear. Have been on parts of the trail and seen other sections. It certainly looks extreme and a challenge. Just wondering if anybody has done the full ride. Any suggestions and advice would be good.
LinusR

Re: pennine bridalway

Post by LinusR »

nick12 wrote:I'm thinking about attempting doing the pennine bridal way next may. Will be taking minimal gear and a bike packing setup to carry my gear. Have been on parts of the trail and seen other sections. It certainly looks extreme and a challenge. Just wondering if anybody has done the full ride. Any suggestions and advice would be good.

https://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/pennine-bridleway

It certainly does look a challenge! What type of bike are you planning to ride? Since doing the South Downs Way I've been bitten by the trail riding bug and I'd be interesting in doing this at some point. It would probably take me 7 or 8 days riding at the pace I usually go.
nick12

Post by nick12 »

From the sections iv'e seen and the short sections I've done it is definitely tough going. I will be using a MTB 26" for this one not sure which as yet. I was thinking 5 days on the trail but it could be more if its hard going.
Taking my specialized rockhopper (1998) to Indonesia this week and probably will leave it there for use in the future. Have a handsomedog hard tail which I may use after I fettle it with new drive train but shall see how that goes.
I'm hoping someone who has done the trail may have some info. I'm sure it will be a brilliant ride with good scenery the whole way. I've done the Pennine cycle way which is a tough ride I believe the off road sections are the same route in places. The pcw is a fantastic ride and a challenge it's self.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

There's a link here which gives you a google street view.

https://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/pennine ... neley-loop

The section it starts on looks like that type of brickwork which has a section sticking out every couple of feet. What joy!

I read on another forum that sections you might want a full susser whereas others you'd want a CX. A hybrid probably gets you best of both worlds but master of none. And on a 26 you will have the problem of angle of attack on those bricks making life a little more difficult.
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Thanks for the link 1982john I cant seem to open it though have tried before as well I think its my Microsoft phone it doesn't like anything google somehow.
I've been mtbing for years on a 26" rigid. Haven't bothered with suspension so will be attempting the trail with what I've got. If I have to push the odd bit I don't mind, although I find I can tackle most types of terrain pretty well.
I got myself a 27.5" mtb last year with front suspension only used it once. Just feels too big and awkward for me. Maybe I should persevere and try and get used to it.
andy74

Post by andy74 »

I actually attempted it about 4 years ago. I was riding alone on my hardtail mtb on 26 inch wheels. My plan was to complete it over 4 days going South to North meeting my wife at predetermined places at the end of the day to transport me to our accommodation (tent). It was early May and the weather was horrible. Some parts are extremely remote and I felt quite isolated riding alone. The ground ranged from nice cinder trail to rough rocky trails and wet boggy grass areas which made for hard going. I managed 54 miles on day 1 and on day 2 some 30 ish miles before losing all motivation and throwing the towel in. So I only managed to do half of the full route but I have sworn to give it another go, I just need someone else to ride it with to keep the motivation. Would also maybe do it over more days and keep the distances smaller.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-T585 using hovercraft full of eels.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Probably a lot of fun in nice weather if you don't set yourself unrealistic goals.

Think I'm going to stick to doing the cycleway in June though
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Sounds a hard ride, must be really tricky in a long white dress :wink: seriously, the bits I’ve encountered look like full on mtb territory.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

A couple of videos probably give an idea of what it's like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... -HkyQvez9o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLg88rt7IBM

This last one around the 8 minute mark ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cku0RThxEao
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Wow thanks 1982john great videos . For sure that is an extreme ride. Downhill you've got to pick your line and go for it. It will be a tough climb up some of them sections for sure.
It certainly seems to go through some remote parts of the Pennines lots of potential for camping when you've had enough for the day.
The boggy ground can be the worst terrain at times andy74. I can cope with the isolation its the terrain that will be a challenge for me. I plan to camp on the way and would find somewhere when I'd had enough for the day.
Weather will be a major factor. Could take a full week. We shall see. I would be going south to north as well.
JohnI

Post by JohnI »

My Dad lives a few hundred yards from the PBW and I've done the local stretches loads of times. The bit nearby is a disused railway line in a valley, but then it climbs northwards on some sections which are too technical to ride and you get right up to barren moors. Then you drop down and climb up again, etc.

I love it, but it's the hardest cycling I know of. I do find it a bit frustrating because there's more pushing and carrying that I would like. Normally after 2-3 hours I've had enough!
nick12

Re: pennine bridleway

Post by nick12 »

I started this thread a while back now. And finally got round to doing the route.
Started from derby and headed north. Peak district was excellent loved it and plan to do more in the region some brilliant off-road tracks and more to discover .
A variety of different trails on single track, double track , gravel, stoney bumby sections. The loose stoney tracks were hard if not impossible to climb . Some amazing down hill sections. Some parts are quite remote with stunning scenery.
Probably the hardest climb which was a long hard push was the last one up malerstang.
I would recommend carrying some supplies especially from settle north there are no shops without a long detour.
I did the route in 7 days steady away. Met a guy who did it in 4 days which is some going . The whole trail is very well signed and easy to follow only needed to check map a few times. Would definitely do it again.
Attachments
IMG_20220604_162359_6.jpg
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for adding the outcome.

Jonathan
Chris56

Post by Chris56 »

Brilliant - so glad you completed it and you have definately given me the bug to try it.

Just built a retro Specialized Hardrock Pro up with a 1 x 10 and I feel this will be the perfect trip to give it a proper work-out!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Many thanks for reporting back nick.
Always nice after folks ask for advice.
Glad you enjoyed.
Personally after a look i think i'll give it a miss, leave it to the pros on mobility scooters.
Sweep