Thoresby Park, Notts.

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Wavers

Thoresby Park, Notts.

Post by Wavers »

Hi, I’m a newbie here and hoping you can help ...
Does anyone know of a route through Thoresby Park on MTB please to get to Budby , without having to go on the road called Netherfield Lane between the two? This a great circular route , all off road apart from that couple of miles or so. The road is not a main one, but is fast. I would prefer to find a route around it ! But the OS map is turning up nothing. Many thanks in anticipation!

D0B690D2-5ED2-48F4-A63E-BCB475AE5DDD.png
Witzend

Re: Thoresby Park, Notts.

Post by Witzend »

Hello, Wavers - this is probably too late, but hopefully will still be of use.

Netherfield Lane is indeed best avoided. I usually extend this route by staying West of Edwinstowe, following the bridlepath down towards CentreParcs, but turning East when you hit the woods along a new bridlepath and across to Rufford. Cross the ford via the bridge, turn North up the bridlepath to Ollerton then following the riverside bridlepath to Walesby Scout Camp and up along the NCN route back up to Clumber, although it an be flooded in the winter along this last stretch.

There are ways through Thorseby, but I think they are 'officially' for patrons of the Health Spa. I have sometimes used a path through as follows -
From SK621686 (in Clumber) turn East to the road, cross it and follow a track parallel to the road, or follow the road until you see a track off to the right (SK628688) and follow it uphill along the line of overhead cables until you pick up the bridlepath along the edge of the old pit boundary. There is a branch off to the left (often signified by a pile of flytipped waste at SK634685) which crosses the main road. I can only assume this next section was a previouos right of way before the woods ahead were taken over by MoD, but I've followed it to Buck Gates and then generally NE to meet the edge of the old camp (now holiday cabins) and onto White Lodge.

There are signs there saying there is a permissive path to Thoresby, but I've never followed it as I usually turn for home here. However, if you search for Strava Heat Map (you don't have to sign up) you can see that I'm not the only one to use this and other routes around there.

I hope this is helps.