New bikes & bar ends

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Paulatic

New bikes & bar ends

Post by Paulatic »

When I bought my current MtB In 1998 bar ends came as standard on it. As did a lot of other bikes at that time.
Aged 67 my body has started telling me to look at some suspension. I’ve been looking at Hardtail 29 ers and what is most noticeable is
a) the width of the handlebars
b) not a single bike has barends fitted.
Why is this?
and yes I know I can cut the bars down but i didn’t have to do that 20 yrs ago.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
reohn2

Re: New bikes & bar ends

Post by reohn2 »

I've noticed that no,or not many at least,MTB riders have bar ends these days.But many are riding what I'd term as ridiculouslt wide 0.8m :shock: dead straight 'bars,which look to be the most uncomfortable 'bars I've seen.
I'm putting a lot of it down to fashion.
I know they're not to everyone's taste but the Geoff loop 'bars from Planet X are proving to be an excellent choice for me.

PS, I've never liked bar ends,I find them awkard to use and my hands are too far away from brakes and gearlevers
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

I loved bar ends during my MTB years! But they were always an aftermarket thing weren't they?
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Spinners wrote:I loved bar ends during my MTB years! But they were always an aftermarket thing weren't they?

Yes I spend a lot of time, especially climbing, on bar ends.
My Orange P7 came fitted with them but I’ve just checked in some old mags I have. MTB Mountain Bike Monthly the first issue Dec 1991. I’ve 5 issues then I think it finished. Reviews of new bikes and around one in four showing bar ends. Pictures of cyclists in action nearly all bikes have bar ends. What I did find most noticeable were loads of pictures with bike slung over shoulder and scrambling up some rocky scree. That’s why we went for lightweight :D Have you seen the weight of current bikes :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

My first MTB had oversize tubing but my 1993 Orange Prestige (XT including thumbshifters) was skinny steel with a very flexy fork. I don't think it had bar ends but perhaps I changed them during my 'purple period' 8)
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)