Favourite railway cycle routes

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
brynpoeth

Favourite railway cycle routes

Postby brynpoeth » 1 Sep 2019, 8:32pm

The Grauniad has a list of ten top rail trails
Which is your favourite?
I like the one from Caernarfon to Bryncir, a bit hilly but easy to ride on fixed
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

mjr

Re: Favourite railway cycle routes

Postby mjr » 1 Sep 2019, 8:40pm

Vennbahn. Simply stunning. Great places along the route too.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

hamster

Postby hamster » 2 Sep 2019, 6:37pm

Waskerley Way
Mawddach trail
Camel trail
Granite Way

mjr

Postby mjr » 2 Sep 2019, 7:44pm

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019 ... -tracks-uk is their list. UK only. Bit rubbish including Marriott's Way and not the Cambridge-Huntingdon IMO.

The Alban Way and Newport Nobby are nice too but short.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 2 Sep 2019, 7:56pm

Whats the longest rail trail in the UK ... And if ridden with a paved / surfaced canal path whats the longest combined path way .....
I have a heart issue and although being encouraged to keep up with the milage my (cycling) Cardio consultant suggests i keep off the big climbs
( Whinlatter Pass next week on my CTC ... lets see how that goes ... :lol: ) ....
It's not about the bike .. It's about the journey .....
The Road Goes On Forever ........................

Richard Fairhurst

Postby Richard Fairhurst » 2 Sep 2019, 8:06pm

I think the Downslink and the Formartine & Buchan Way are generally accepted to be the longest in the UK.

Blaenau Ffestiniog - Llyn Celyn is my favourite "trackbed that isn't a cycle route but really ought to be"!
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides

rotavator

Postby rotavator » 2 Sep 2019, 9:45pm

Glen Ogle south of Killin has a good but short section

Mawddach Trail has to have some of the best views in the UK

Monsal Trail is good with plenty of tunnels but a bit short

Prestatyn - Dyserth tramway and Porth Penrhyn - Bethesda are quite good but short

Tarka Trail is long enough for a good day out

pete75

Postby pete75 » 6 Sep 2019, 8:55pm

landsurfer wrote:Whats the longest rail trail in the UK ... And if ridden with a paved / surfaced canal path whats the longest combined path way .....
I have a heart issue and although being encouraged to keep up with the milage my (cycling) Cardio consultant suggests i keep off the big climbs
( Whinlatter Pass next week on my CTC ... lets see how that goes ... :lol: ) ....

Well not far from you, starting just east of Tuxford where High Marnham power station used to be, crossing the Trent on Fledborough Viaduct the trail goes on the old railway to about 3 miles from Lincoln, alongside the Fosdyke and the Brayford almost to Lincoln centre, a bit through a shopping precinct, a quiet bit of factory/office access road then uses the old railway line along the WItham bank to Boston with occasional stretches on very quiet backroads. Distance is close on 50 miles. There's about 10 pubs on the route.
Cycle planners show various ways through Lincoln but my advice is follow the WItham after the Brayford. You just need to take your bike up some steps at the Glory Hole , the place where the Witham goes under the High Bridge, allegedly the oldest bridge in the country with buildings on it.