Favourite railway cycle routes

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Cyril Haearn

Favourite railway cycle routes

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Grauniad has a list of ten top rail trails
Which is your favourite?
I like the one from Caernarfon to Bryncir, a bit hilly but easy to ride on fixed
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Re: Favourite railway cycle routes

Post by mjr »

Vennbahn. Simply stunning. Great places along the route too.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Waskerley Way
Mawddach trail
Camel trail
Granite Way
mjr

Post by mjr »

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019 ... -tracks-uk is their list. UK only. Bit rubbish including Marriott's Way and not the Cambridge-Huntingdon IMO.

The Alban Way and Newport Nobby are nice too but short.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Whats the longest rail trail in the UK ... And if ridden with a paved / surfaced canal path whats the longest combined path way .....
I have a heart issue and although being encouraged to keep up with the milage my (cycling) Cardio consultant suggests i keep off the big climbs
( Whinlatter Pass next week on my CTC ... lets see how that goes ... :lol: ) ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

I think the Downslink and the Formartine & Buchan Way are generally accepted to be the longest in the UK.

Blaenau Ffestiniog - Llyn Celyn is my favourite "trackbed that isn't a cycle route but really ought to be"!
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Glen Ogle south of Killin has a good but short section

Mawddach Trail has to have some of the best views in the UK

Monsal Trail is good with plenty of tunnels but a bit short

Prestatyn - Dyserth tramway and Porth Penrhyn - Bethesda are quite good but short

Tarka Trail is long enough for a good day out
pete75

Post by pete75 »

landsurfer wrote:Whats the longest rail trail in the UK ... And if ridden with a paved / surfaced canal path whats the longest combined path way .....
I have a heart issue and although being encouraged to keep up with the milage my (cycling) Cardio consultant suggests i keep off the big climbs
( Whinlatter Pass next week on my CTC ... lets see how that goes ... :lol: ) ....

Well not far from you, starting just east of Tuxford where High Marnham power station used to be, crossing the Trent on Fledborough Viaduct the trail goes on the old railway to about 3 miles from Lincoln, alongside the Fosdyke and the Brayford almost to Lincoln centre, a bit through a shopping precinct, a quiet bit of factory/office access road then uses the old railway line along the WItham bank to Boston with occasional stretches on very quiet backroads. Distance is close on 50 miles. There's about 10 pubs on the route.
Cycle planners show various ways through Lincoln but my advice is follow the WItham after the Brayford. You just need to take your bike up some steps at the Glory Hole , the place where the Witham goes under the High Bridge, allegedly the oldest bridge in the country with buildings on it.

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

The Tissington and High Peak Trails are pretty flat and can be combined with a bit of B road to make a circuit, though it does mean a bit of climbing to get back onto the Tissington trail at Tissington village. Start from Tissington or Ashbourne then follow the Tissington trail to Parsley Hay (Cafe if needed). Then pick up the High Peak trail. You get off the High Peak at Longcliffe, then take the B5056 towards Fenny Bentley, which is all down hill. You come to a road on the right with a Ford over the river and a foot bridge. This will take you back to Tissington, though it is quite a steep but short climb, you can walk it.

Another Peak District trail is the Monsal Trail from Bakewell. It takes you through 6 tunnels of varying length to emerge near Buxton.

I did an 120km audax that linked the Manifold, Tissington, High Peak and Monsal trails together, but the road link section were very hilly. It was an interesting ride, nonetheless. ThePeak trails are best ridden during the week as they can be very busy with pedestrians at weekends.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
drossall

Post by drossall »

The High Peak trail is not flat. There were winding engines in three places. I have not yet been forgiven for those :-)
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Port Talbot to Glyncorrwg is a good one and the section between Pontrhydyfen and Cymmer can be ridden on both sides of the River Afan.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Despite stupid barriers, I like the Flitch Way.

If they are still there, there are the Booking Hall cafe at Rayne station, Flitch and Chips at Little Dunmow, and a bit further afield, the Coffee Shop at Bishops Stortford.

There's a little museum at Rayne Station, as well, and a nature reserve en route. Not far off the route are Great Notley Country Park and Hatfield forest (which also has a reasonable cafe).

It was a fairly regular family day out for us when we lived in the area.

The railway route going into Hadleigh, Suffolk is pretty, but not great in wet weather.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
millimole

Post by millimole »

Brampton Valley Way. Part of Sustrans r6.

22 miles from Market Harborough to Northampton. Two long unlit tunnels, and only two road crossings. One little ford.
The scenery isn't spectacular, but it's a glorious ride. Plenty of seats to sit and reflect.
There's a small heritage railway at the Northampton end that the path runs alongside.

Unfortunately budget restrictions have meant that the original good/excellent surface of hard packed gravel is now poor in places and little maintenance is being done.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
willp01908

Post by willp01908 »

Brampton Valley Way. Part of Sustrans r6.
22 miles from Market Harborough to Northampton. Two long unlit tunnels, and only two road crossings. One little ford.
The scenery isn't spectacular, but it's a glorious ride. Plenty of seats to sit and reflect.

Love this route and have fond memories of my first cycle camping trip along it - up from Milton Keynes on NCR6 with an overnight in Market Harborough. I had so much gear.... :shock:

Still go up occasionally on a day ride but like you say it`s pretty rough in parts now.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this yet: National 24 from Frome to Bath (old railway, including the Two Tunnels), National 4 (Bristol-Bath Railway Path) to Bristol, National 33 (Festival Way, alongside the mainline) to Backwell Bow then flattish roads to Yatton, National 26 (the Strawberry Line) to Cheddar.

Unfortunately, the railway onwards through Wells and Shepton Mallet back to the Frome line is currently still derelict except for a short preserved section, so the choices are a long (5+ miles) climb onto the plain at Priddy, returning to Yatton station or B roads and National Byway to Wedmore, Glastonbury and Castle Cary.