King Alfred's Way ( 2020 Jan -> Ongoing )

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Queens Park Pete

Re: King Alfred's Way opens soon ( I think )

Post by Queens Park Pete »

mercalia wrote:Has any one ordered and received the guide book yet?

I have ordered a copy and emailed them a couple of times and not getting any reply

Mine has arrived this morning (postmarked 3/09) and I have to say it was well worth the wait. Well done to all the team who have put together a lovely looking guide book. Got bits in mind for an October project all being well!
honesty

Re: King Alfred's Way

Post by honesty »

I sat and watched the route rides last night by the guy who wrote the guide book. What a fantastic route. There are definitely bits I'd be worried going over on my trad touring bike. Going to have to go and investigate off road touring bikes now...
Queens Park Pete

Post by Queens Park Pete »

honesty wrote:I sat and watched the route rides last night by the guy who wrote the guide book. What a fantastic route. There are definitely bits I'd be worried going over on my trad touring bike. Going to have to go and investigate off road touring bikes now...

Not sure I would tackle the Basingstoke canal at the speed he did either! Did he edit out the 1000 dog walkers usually on it?
Having got the route guide now, most of the rougher "single-track" bits run close to quiet tarmac lane alternatives.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Queens Park Pete wrote:
honesty wrote:I sat and watched the route rides last night by the guy who wrote the guide book. What a fantastic route. There are definitely bits I'd be worried going over on my trad touring bike. Going to have to go and investigate off road touring bikes now...

Not sure I would tackle the Basingstoke canal at the speed he did either! Did he edit out the 1000 dog walkers usually on it?
Having got the route guide now, most of the rougher "single-track" bits run close to quiet tarmac lane alternatives.

Hah yeh, he was a bit of a machine. 3 80 mile days back to back off road... not even sure I could do one of them!
Zulu Eleven

Post by Zulu Eleven »

dodge007 wrote:I am thing of doing the KAW or parts of it on my 2002 Galaxy tour next
spring/summer and during a dry spell if possible , the bike has 700*35
tyres and wondering what would be the maximum tyre size for a Galaxy?
does any one know?
Asreading reports on the KAW it more or less states the fatter the tyre the better

cheers

Please, watch the videos

What bike?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8SFTxDxcjA

Day 1 of the route:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne4LbLl0qM8

As
Guy says, you *could* do it in a touring bike, it will probably just about survive... but then you *can* cross the Atlantic in a Rowing boat - just don’t expect it to be particularly enjoyable. :lol:
mercalia

Re: King Alfred's Way opens soon ( I think )

Post by mercalia »

Queens Park Pete wrote:
mercalia wrote:Has any one ordered and received the guide book yet?

I have ordered a copy and emailed them a couple of times and not getting any reply

Mine has arrived this morning (postmarked 3/09) and I have to say it was well worth the wait. Well done to all the team who have put together a lovely looking guide book. Got bits in mind for an October project all being well!

my copy arrived today. Is a ring folder book so practical and the maps are very clear. Size is about right
dodge007

Post by dodge007 »

dodge007 wrote:
Zulu Eleven wrote:

Please, watch the videos

What bike?

Day 1 of the route:

As
Guy says, you *could* do it in a touring bike, it will probably just about survive... but then you *can* cross the Atlantic in a Rowing boat - just don’t expect it to be particularly enjoyable. :lol:

Thanks ,, i may resort to the 'lanes' on the ultra tough bits .. but as the galaxy is tough as old boots / so comfy and with chunky tyres i may survive ..
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

dodge007 wrote:
dodge007 wrote:
Zulu Eleven wrote:

Please, watch the videos

What bike?

Day 1 of the route:

As

Thanks ,, i may resort to the 'lanes' on the ultra tough bits .. but as the galaxy is tough as old boots / so comfy and with chunky tyres i may survive ..

but will your backside? :wink:
FJ1001

Post by FJ1001 »

Hi - I have always wanted to try bikepacking and thinking of using this loop as my first adventure with a few friends. Few questions for those that have tried this loop:
1) We have a mix of abilities, as a group we are best sticking to Green/Blue routes (definitely not Red or beyond) - should we avoid any particular sections? And how would we find the alternative easier route?
2) Is it doable on a Fat Tyre MTB ? (Specialized Ruze)
3) I see the guides mention that the routes can be narrow but we all have flat bars - what issue will we face and would this mean we have to avoid sections because of the width of the handlebars?
4) Is 4 days enough to allow ourselves for the whole loop (to keep the group together, and walk/hike any tricky bits!)
5) We are thinking to do the ride in late October - any tips for the route during the Autumn (we are camping the route)? Welcome any tips for those who have bikepacked during this season :)

Thanks!
Zulu Eleven

Post by Zulu Eleven »

FJ1001 wrote:Hi - I have always wanted to try bikepacking and thinking of using this loop as my first adventure with a few friends. Few questions for those that have tried this loop:
1) We have a mix of abilities, as a group we are best sticking to Green/Blue routes (definitely not Red or beyond) - should we avoid any particular sections? And how would we find the alternative easier route?

Nothing outside a trail centre blue

2) Is it doable on a Fat Tyre MTB ? (Specialized Ruze)

Absolutley, bute are bits where it will feel slow and draggy on the road sections - however you’ll have a blast on the sandy bits whil3 everyone else is swearing

3) I see the guides mention that the routes can be narrow but we all have flat bars - what issue will we face and would this mean we have to avoid sections because of the width of the handlebars?

Nope, shouldn’t be a problem

4) Is 4 days enough to allow ourselves for the whole loop (to keep the group together, and walk/hike any tricky bits!)

That’s a bit “how long is a piece of string” - entirely dependent on fitness

5) We are thinking to do the ride in late October - any tips for the route during the Autumn (we are camping the route)? Welcome any tips for those who have bikepacked during this season :)

I think that some sections on the western end will be descending into a bit of a struggle by late October - expect to take road diversions no some bits and expect standing water in puddles in areas - IMO there’s few things worse than getting out of, and back into, wet, muddy kit, in a wet, cold tent. I’d honestly say that if this really is your first ever bikepacking trip, it has all the ingredients for a thoroughly pitiful few days - hold off till next summer instead, when you will enjoy every minute of it.
FJ1001

Post by FJ1001 »

Thank you so much for the advice!! Yep sounds like waiting for next summer is best... are there any other routes in the South East that might be better to do at that time of year for us, even if it’s a shorter (overnight) one?
Zulu Eleven

Post by Zulu Eleven »

FJ1001 wrote:Thank you so much for the advice!! Yep sounds like waiting for next summer is best... are there any other routes in the South East that might be better to do at that time of year for us, even if it’s a shorter (overnight) one?

South Downs Way or Western Half of the Ridgeway are both great starter routes - physically challenging but easy to navigate - both are linear rather than loops though.

My advice for a first ever group trip would be that a good mate volunteering to drive support with a hired crew cab van carrying tents, sleeping bags etc. Will transform the weekend for all of you - you’ll end th3 weekend as mates rather than enemies.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Mm
A cycling route with a recommendation to have a big engine follow you around?
I find this fashion somewhat ludicrous apart from several other objections.
Folk can surely do the route in bits if they prefer and pack appropriately?
Sweep
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Zulu Eleven wrote:My advice for a first ever group trip would be that a good mate volunteering to drive support with a hired crew cab van carrying tents, sleeping bags etc. Will transform the weekend for all of you - you’ll end th3 weekend as mates rather than enemies.

From painful experience? : - )

It's great to have options so that people can choose what's best for them.

Shirley

PS: Our family members due to finish on Thursday.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

FJ1001 wrote:Thank you so much for the advice!! Yep sounds like waiting for next summer is best... are there any other routes in the South East that might be better to do at that time of year for us, even if it’s a shorter (overnight) one?

Youy could always try a bit of it to wet your appetite. I was thinking of trying the Winchester to Salisbury leg this month

have look here?
maybe just some day trips?
http://gps-routes.co.uk/routes/home.nsf/uk/cycling-in-england