FJ1001 wrote:Hi - I have always wanted to try bikepacking and thinking of using this loop as my first adventure with a few friends. Few questions for those that have tried this loop:
1) We have a mix of abilities, as a group we are best sticking to Green/Blue routes (definitely not Red or beyond) - should we avoid any particular sections? And how would we find the alternative easier route?
Nothing outside a trail centre blue
2) Is it doable on a Fat Tyre MTB ? (Specialized Ruze)
Absolutley, bute are bits where it will feel slow and draggy on the road sections - however you’ll have a blast on the sandy bits whil3 everyone else is swearing
3) I see the guides mention that the routes can be narrow but we all have flat bars - what issue will we face and would this mean we have to avoid sections because of the width of the handlebars?
Nope, shouldn’t be a problem
4) Is 4 days enough to allow ourselves for the whole loop (to keep the group together, and walk/hike any tricky bits!)
That’s a bit “how long is a piece of string” - entirely dependent on fitness
5) We are thinking to do the ride in late October - any tips for the route during the Autumn (we are camping the route)? Welcome any tips for those who have bikepacked during this season
I think that some sections on the western end will be descending into a bit of a struggle by late October - expect to take road diversions no some bits and expect standing water in puddles in areas - IMO there’s few things worse than getting out of, and back into, wet, muddy kit, in a wet, cold tent. I’d honestly say that if this really is your first ever bikepacking trip, it has all the ingredients for a thoroughly pitiful few days - hold off till next summer instead, when you will enjoy every minute of it.