Turbo static trainers

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
rodgentry

Turbo static trainers

Post by rodgentry »

I'd like to get one of these to use outside on the patio. Does anyone know if models suitable for outside use exist?
whiskywheels

Re: Turbo static trainers

Post by whiskywheels »

Not quite sure what you mean..........you can use them outdoors, but I wouldn't recommend leaving one outside as the rain won't do it much good. Even the most basic of trainers will be susceptible to this, and many now need to be plugged in to the mains for various reasons!
I recommend using a trainer, especially at this time. Personally, I use a 'smart' trainer; connected to my laptop and using software such as BigRing VR, you watch a video which 'tells' the trainer what gradient you're on and sets the resistance accordingly. It's great fun, nearly as good as the real thing, and I can ride against former versions of my self or other riders online or previously 'recorded'.
I have used it outside, but now only use it in the garage as I coudn't see the screen properly in the sunshine!
I've used various trainers outside for many years, but wouldn't like to ride in the rain, for my sake or that of the trainer.
rodgentry

Post by rodgentry »

Thanks. I noticed that they all specified "indoor". I wondered if they'd be robust enough to use outside
whiskywheels

Post by whiskywheels »

Yes, commonly referred to as 'indoor trainers', but can be used outside unless it's raining and it's connected to the mains!

Using outdoors makes sense, as you will get very hot in the average heated home; I use a massive 24" fan in front of me even in the unheated garage, with the door open, frosty morning............drenched in sweat, makes you realise the windchill factor of proper cycling!
rodgentry

Post by rodgentry »

Thanks