Suggested Scottish route please

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
mattsccm

Suggested Scottish route please

Post by mattsccm »

If I was in Fort Augustus and wanted to go to Fort William with a bike and a dislike for tarmac which way could I go? Over the Corrieyairack pass might be an option but the only way from Laggan that I know that is vaguely viable is up and around Ben Alder (ish) and down through Glen Nevis. Way to long methinks. Or south of the A86 in the woods. Scope to get lost and bored maybe?
Will have come from Fort Bill via the west side of Lochy Lochy etc so want to stay east of the water.
Estate type roads are great. Anyway over into Roybridge?
Paulatic

Re: Suggested Scottish route please

Post by Paulatic »

Great North Trail south from Fort Augustus and pick up the top of Loch Laggan the East Highland Way to Fort William.

http://www.graemewarren.com/blog/wp-con ... hwplan.jpg

I’d been looking at a reverse of that which is shelved at the moment.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Good one. Have to convince a mate that we could do another day or two.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

By "tarmac" do you mean roads?

If so look at the "Great Glen Way" - mostly canals and trails
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Using that on the way out. Wel up the west side all the way. Trying to get back to Fort William from Fort Augustus staying east of the great glen. Found a route from Melgarve to Glen Roy. Anyone been that way?
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

a route from Melgarve to Glen Roy

Into the top of Glen Roy would be a bit of a drag/push/carry for a few km, with some river crossings, but do-able. Look at the aerial photographs on Bing maps to separate out the estate track from the glacial shelves, OS doesn't differentiate between them. The "parallel roads" aren't roads. The foot of Glen Roy dumps you out on to the A86, there isn't a bridge over on to quiet roads on the south side of the river. Pauletic's suggestion is the best bet so far.

The travel restrictions might delay a trip into the tail end of the year; beware of snow in the high passes.

Have fun.
Agitate, educate, organise.