Replacement for ancient hardtail

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
JamesPark

Replacement for ancient hardtail

Post by JamesPark »

I have an ancient ('95 ) Marin MTB: Aluminium frame, no suspension. The frame is showing signs of possible failure so I'm looking for a replacemrnt.

Currently set up with 35mm slick tyres, mudguards and a rack. Mostly used as a go more or less anywhere gentle touring machine. It's comfortable, easy, slow and bounces over the local potholed lanes very nicely.

Any advice welcome.
reohn2

Re: Replacement for ancient hardtail

Post by reohn2 »

Are you thinking complete bike or just frameset?
What's your budget?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
JamesPark

Post by JamesPark »

I'm tempted to just replace the frame, but I suspect that the 'new wine in old skins' effect would reveal that none of the components are as good as they might be. So I'd end up spending far more buying everything separately than the cost of a complete bike.

This is not the 'main bike' so it doesn't have to be wonderful: budget could go up to £600 or so.

I'd imagine some sort of hybrid or possibly gravel bike might be the thing. Important for me would be some low gears and straight bars.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

You may struggle with availability at the moment tbh as that spec's what Lenny and Loris Lockdown have all been buying :D

The Evans Pinnacle Lithium 4's bob-on, but is available in hens-teeth quantities, the rocking horse poo having all gone by now.

If the size fits you, this is a cracking bike (I have one):
https://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/ ... %20Bike%27

As is this, with fewer gears (my wife has this in female form) but somehow more charm than the above:
https://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/ ... %20Bike%27
JamesPark

Post by JamesPark »

Many thanks for that, very helpful.

I hadn't realised how depleted stocks of bikes were. Obvious really, and a very good omen for future transport unless everyone hates cycling and reverts.

Bike #2 is still perfectly rideable so I think I'll put the project on ice until this Corvid nuisance/disaster is over. The only real problem with the frame is that the lugs holding the saddle adjust pinch bolt collapsed like butter. That was easily fixed with a band type clamp, but I worry that something else will fall off If I'm away touring - but that won't happen for a while.

Thanks again, great forum.
hamster

Post by hamster »

You should be able to sell your Marin on retrobike.co.uk - and also find a replacement frame or bike.