Retro suspension forks

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Emmett2018

Retro suspension forks

Post by Emmett2018 »

All, got the wife a Trek Navigator 200 off eBay as we've been riding some trails and her hybrid wasn't cutting it. All in all the Treks a great bike and she's raving about how comfortable it is. The suspension has the rubber dust boots covering it that have started to crack and look tatty, can I add some newer 'technological' advancements to the suspension to help maintain it? I note newer bikes with suspension never have the rubber dust boots anymore. Just to add I want to service the suspension if possible as it seems to be working well I want to keep it that way (rst forks fyi) thanks
Emmett2018

Re: Retro suspension forks

Post by Emmett2018 »

"RST CT-COM C5, 50mm travel"

That's the model of fork if it's helpful?
meejozzz

Re: Retro suspension forks

Post by meejozzz »

My earliest mountain bikes all had dust boots and I was told at the time not to remove them as they kept the crud out. I had Rock Shox Judy's and Manitou Sxr' forks both with boots. Of course as time has moved on suspension manufacturers have the stanchions visible, I presume this was because the the seals have improved and there's something more aesthetically pleasing about a shiny stanchion! My guess is that on your RSTs they're there for a reason. I'd keep the vintage look, you don't see that many about these days. Either that and remove them, use them 'til they die and but a new pair.