Cycle trail (day-out) networks?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Chrisg149

Cycle trail (day-out) networks?

Post by Chrisg149 »

The New Forest has a concentration of linked off-road cycle routes suitable for ordinary family bikes. Are there other such locations around the UK where I can centrally camp with a radiating network of day-out traffic-free trails? Thanks. Chris
LinusR

Re: Cycle trail (day-out) networks?

Post by LinusR »

Chrisg149 wrote:The New Forest has a concentration of linked off-road cycle routes suitable for ordinary family bikes. Are there other such locations around the UK where I can centrally camp with a radiating network of day-out traffic-free trails? Thanks. Chris

I stayed at the New Forest YHA in February and enjoyed the all-weather trails through the forest. The only place I have been to that is similar is the Lee Valley around Cheshunt. There is also a YHA there (though I have not stayed there). There is a linear network of all-weather, easy trails heading north up to Hertford and south towards the Olympic Park in London. https://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/en/content/cms/outdoors/cycling/. It can get rather crowded on Saturdays and Sundays during the summer.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Great question. I'd be interested if there are any more suitable for small grandchildren.

Jonathan

PS: That Lee Valley route is excellent. We used it to ride from Essex to the Olympic park en route to east London.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Jdsk wrote:PS: That Lee Valley route is excellent. We used it to ride from Essex to the Olympic park en route to east London.

I thought it was mostly lumpy gravel and rolled stone rubbish except from Nazeing to Enfield? Did I use the wrong side of the Lee or something?

If you're happy with unpaved trails, Norfolk has plenty of that: Marriott's Way from Norwich to Reepham to Aylsham, then Bure Valley Path to Wroxham and the achingly-slowly-being-built Three Rivers Way to Horning (eventually intended to go to Potter Heigham), or Weaver's Way from Aylsham to North Walsham and a short road section to another bit to Stalham.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Redruth has a network of trails based on tramway routes so the gradients are gentle. There are various grades of more challenging routes too if any of you fancy a bit more excitement. The coast is only a couple of miles away and there are plenty of other attractions/scenery to keep the family amused. There are nice rides around the Hayle estuary and the Camel Trail is not too far to drive.
The New Forest is great for a weekends riding but the scenery doesn’t vary a great deal.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Todays' Guardian: "10 of the UK's best family cycling trails: readers’ travel tips"
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/jul/30/10-uk-best-family-kids-cycling-trails-routes-readers-travel-tip

Jonathan