All round shoe for bikepacking and hiking

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
trevstonbury

All round shoe for bikepacking and hiking

Post by trevstonbury »

Hi Guys,

Hope someone can advise here. I'm looking for a shoe which is fairly versatile which I can use for bikepacking but is also good on the feet for pushing the bike and hiking. I live in the UK and bikepack in some area where it can get wet/muddy but I also want something that is breathable and light for better conditions. A bit of a jack of all trades master of none! I've been looking at the following, does anyone have any opinions?

FIVE TEN FIVE TENNIE DLX - https://www.adidas.co.uk/five-ten-five-tennie-dlx-approach-shoes/EE9150.html

FIVE TEN TRAILCROSS LT - https://www.adidas.co.uk/five-ten-trailcross-lt-mountain-bike-shoes/EF7058.html

FIVE TEN TRAIL CROSS MID PRO- https://www.adidas.co.uk/five-ten-trail-cross-mid-pro-mountain-bike-shoes/EF3043.html

Cheers!

Trevor
reohn2

Re: All round shoe for bikepacking and hiking

Post by reohn2 »

If you're using flat pedals the world's your oyster,any good walking shoes could fit the bill.
I use these for walking and find them well made,very comfortable,lightish and waterproof:- https://www.millets.co.uk/15989479/pete ... e-15989479
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I use flat pedals and always these:

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/lowa- ... 24086.html

The GTX means waterproof. Pricy but last well and v comfortable whether all day on the saddle or in the hills
John
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’m currently using LaSportiva which are very comfy and airy but not waterproof. For wet expeditions I have gore lined Innov8 Both shoes are what you’d class as a trail shoe and have firm grippy soles ideal for pedalling and walking anywhere I choose so long as the mud isn’t too deep. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

trevstonbury wrote:Hope someone can advise here. I'm looking for a shoe which is fairly versatile which I can use for bikepacking but is also good on the feet for pushing the bike and hiking. I live in the UK and bikepack in some area where it can get wet/muddy but I also want something that is breathable and light for better conditions.

Are you interested in both with and without cleats?

Jonathan
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Don't have any opinions on your suggestions and I have searched for years to find a cleated shoe that is good for both cycling and walking. Now if I am intending to do both on a tour, as I did on my last Switzerland tour, I ride in Shimano Sandals and take my Inov8 Roclites for hiking.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I use Salomon X ultra 3 shoes for most things outdoors. I got a boot version for winter months walking but the shoes are used commuting in winter with overshoes in neoprene.

I buy from go outdoors stores with card and price match to get the price from about£120 to around £60-70. They're a good around shoe IMHO. I'd not choose it if I couldn't get such a good deal through go outdoors.

Innov8 shoes come in many versions. I'd be interested to know which are good for pedalling because mine were fairly thin and they're the roclites too, the more trainer like fell shoes they do. You could feel every rock through them. Great for hill grip but you'd feel the pedal through them IMHO.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Just looked at the shoes/boots. 5.10 AIUI make good climbing shoes and a few good approach or scrambling shoes. There do a good range of grippy rubber soles but grip comes at the expense of durability.

My innov8 fell shoes lasted 3 months typically I once got nearly 6 months out of one pair. They did get well used and during that time I benefited from their performance but you knew it was time to retire them because you slipped on mud and grass quite badly. The grip depth had gone you see.

Looking at those shoes and boots I would be concerned about depth of tread. There's very little. IMHO they would possibly be ok on rock and gravel but mud and wet grass I reckon I'd be on my 'arris a lot. The rubber is described as stealth which is a climbing shoe rubber designation. Expect the tread to disappear but be amazing while scrambling on dry rock.

Sorry if I'm being negative and I could be very unfair to those shoes and boot but I'd look for more grip. They'd grip ok on flat pedals with those pegs like mountain bike flats but depending on where you're planning on cycling with them you could have issues should you walk or push/carry your bike. Cycling ok but off it I'm not convinced they're that good with their design.

I'm from a leisure road cycling and hiking / challenge walking background so my opinions are coloured by those experiences. I cycle in the shoes I hike in now but before I had separate hiking shoes that were fell shoes and too specialized for everything.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I wouldn't use Inov8s for cycling and only take them on bike/hiking tours because of their lightness. They are too flimsy for much else. For just hiking trips I prefer La Sportiva boots with Vibram sole. Good grip and keep feet dry.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Tangled Metal wrote:
Innov8 shoes come in many versions. I'd be interested to know which are good for pedalling because mine were fairly thin and they're the roclites too, the more trainer like fell shoes they do. You could feel every rock through them. Great for hill grip but you'd feel the pedal through them IMHO.

I’m using the roclite 350, chosen because they are a wider fit, with DMR V8 pedals without any problem.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
PH

Post by PH »

Well done to Paulatic for matching shoe to pedal, it's one of the reasons such things can work out expensive trial and error.
I'm watching with interest, I haven't found the answer, my lightweight walking boots are lethal on my flat pedals if it's wet and although I've done a bit of walking in my cleated Exustar Stelvio touring shoes, they're not ideal.
Last edited by PH on 3 Aug 2020, 7:26am, edited 1 time in total.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

These days, I have with two pairs of shoes for touring. One is light walking boots (Timberland), and the other is Teva sandals that are rubber & nylon & pack flat, but have a stiff enough sole for cycling. I also carry a pair of sealskinz socks to wear with the sandals. Between them, they cover pretty much any 3 season touring/bikepacking needs, including hiking.

I use flat pedals.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:Well done to Paulatic for matching shoe to pedal, it's one of the reasons such things can work out expensive trial and error.
I'm watching with interest, I haven't found the answer, my lightweight walking boots are lethal on my flat pedals if it's wet and although I've done a bit of walking in my cleated Exustar Stelvio touring shoes, they're not ideal.

My bold

Have you tried DMR V8 pedals with the adjustable gripper screws/pips?
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

reohn2 wrote:
PH wrote:Well done to Paulatic for matching shoe to pedal, it's one of the reasons such things can work out expensive trial and error.

My bold

I haven't yet tried anything with pins, I was offered a loan of a pair (Can't remember the make) before the madness so I might get a chance sometime soon. I am a little concerned what the pins do to shoes.
Annoyingly, my Dickies work safety trainers are fine on the MKS touring pedals and quite comfortable to walk in, though I wouldn't want to wear them touring.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

My bold

I haven't yet tried anything with pins, I was offered a loan of a pair (Can't remember the make) before the madness so I might get a chance sometime soon. I am a little concerned what the pins do to shoes.
Annoyingly, my Dickies work safety trainers are fine on the MKS touring pedals and quite comfortable to walk in, though I wouldn't want to wear them touring.

The jury's out on whether pins do any harm to walking shoes,I can't say I've noticed anything abnormal on the soles of the shoes I mentioned upthread though TBF I only use them in wet winter weather,the rest of the time I use SPDs.
W H Auden