1st Wild camp of the year North Wales

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
ansell007

1st Wild camp of the year North Wales

Post by ansell007 »

After a pretty uneventful year of camping thanks to covid I saw a window in to get out and do a camp. I was back at work after quite q qhile off but only doing half days so come midday I headed up to the nearest decent mountain Tal y fan in North Wales. I had a problem though as my fat bike needed some work doing on it so had to use the gravel bike and worried if it was uip for the task. It was a insanly hot day and I ain't no athlete as always opted to drink a six pack rather then exercise to get one. I was soon up Conwy mountain where the Heather and Gorse where in full bloom which ofered a pretty awsome display of colour. I headed on to tal y fan and admittly I stuggled a fair bit due to being unhealthy and sweating about 20 mints per miniute :grin: But soon I was at the base of Tal y Fan and pushed on up. I planned on camping right near the summit but found a cracking spot lower down and decided that was my spot. I set up camp and relaxed and soon noticed the floor had lots of flies crawling on it. I soon discovered that these where bloody midges and the little gits soon took flight and started to eat me alive. Thankfully after a hour the wind picked up and they all buggered off as I opened a beer and relaxed. As the sun set cloud some low cloud came in which made the Llandudno town and Conwy look like it was on fire. The night went well and I was buzzing watching the stars pop out and lights come on in the town. The bizzare cloud forms was quite amazing and all to soon it was midnight and I climbed into the sleeping bag. I awoke the next day to be blessed with a see of cloud in the valleys as fog clung to the low lands it was stunning to watch and was accually hard to cycle without keep lookingh at the view. It was a great couple of days and the gravel bike did a great job.

https://youtu.be/AazQ8a25xvU
chris_suffolk

Re: 1st Wild camp of the year North Wales

Post by chris_suffolk »

Sounds like you had a great time. Shame that (maybe) in 10 days time wild camping will be a criminal offence if the Govt gets its' way over trespass laws.
soapbox

Post by soapbox »

Just watched the video. Beautiful. Might just be the inspiration I need to get a late wild-camp in myself. Cheers.
soapbox

Post by soapbox »

chris_suffolk wrote:Sounds like you had a great time. Shame that (maybe) in 10 days time wild camping will be a criminal offence if the Govt gets its' way over trespass laws.

I don't think the plods are going up Tal y Fan arresting anyone!

That said, technology could make prosecutions more likely in the future, if National Parks for example start using drones to photograph and track wild campers.