Recommendation on 27.5 (650b) tires for bikepacking

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
trevstonbury

Recommendation on 27.5 (650b) tires for bikepacking

Post by trevstonbury »

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some new tires for my mtb which im slowing fitting out for bikepacking. I usually do a mix of terrain from road, gravel, field and forest. I live in the UK so the varied weather and seasons means I need a solution which will be a good jack of all trades in as many conditions as possible, and something which is fairly puncture resistant. I'm also interested in whether I should look for different tyres for front/rear. Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Trevor
Jdsk

Re: Recommendation on 27.5 (650b) tires for bikepacking

Post by Jdsk »

I'll start the bidding with Schwalbe Marathon Plus:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-large/275-x-210-54584-schwalbe-marathon-plus-mtb-hs468-tyre-275-inch-584/

The advantages and disadvantages are thoroughly rehearsed in other threads...

Jonathan
trevstonbury

Post by trevstonbury »

Thanks Jonathan,

I did see these, forgot to mention id quite like foldable ones if possible, these don't do they?

I was previously looking at perhaps a combo of nobby nic and magic mary...
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Wiggle claim they have folding versions, but I'd check that carefully:
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-plus-smartguard-mtb-tyre

Jonathan
trevstonbury

Post by trevstonbury »

Thanks Jonathan,

I think these may work, even if not foldable, any backups we take could be another type of tyre. Does anyone use these in conjunction with any other tyres?
fossala

Post by fossala »

I’ve been using WTB byways since February tubeless. No punctures and enough grip for a little off road. Also done 200k rides on them.
trevstonbury

Post by trevstonbury »

Just an update on this, what are people opinions on the schwalbe combos below? Trying to get a balance of endurance/durability/protection over distance and mixed terrain but still some decent traction and grip;

Combo 1
Front: Nobby nic 27.5, 2.25
Rear: Marathon Plus MTB 27.5 2.25

Combo 2
Front: Smart Sam 27.5, 2.25
Rear: Marathon Plus MTB 27.5 2.25

I'm open to other brands for the front so will have a look at the WTB byways. I can put a max of a 2.3 on the front, though not sure that's required?

Cheers!
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

I use Maxxis Ardent https://www.maxxis.co.uk/catalog/tyre-294-18-ardent which is more of a traditional off-road tyre. Not as fast following as the Marathons or puncture resistant but more grip over rougher terrain. Over rough or slippery ground I use a Maxxis Minion DHF up front. I've only used the Smart Sam tyres on my cyclocross bike; they are faster rolling than the Ardents and more supple compared to the Marathons and a lot cheaper. Your combo 1 and 2 sounds ok - more grip on the front is useful. I've used all these as tubeless.