Dawes Karakum OK for Gentle off-road

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
mattsccm

Re: Dawes Karakum OK for Gentle off-road

Post by mattsccm »

Looking at your original post I see that you are considering mountain bikes and name a couple. Muddy Fox from the 80's were great. Muddy Fox from this century are about as cheap and nasty as they come and sold in t,he type of shop where they don't know which was is up.
Don't over think this.I would question my current bike until it had repeatedly proved to be inadequate.
Of course maybe you just want a new bike and are trying to convince yourself you need it. And why not?
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

Just get going and ride the bikes. Can fit fatter tyres any time.
Id go for tyres with a smooth ish middle and knobbly sides, easier on road and firm surfaces, reasonable grip on mud. Tractor tyres will grip better of course but are much harder work
Devonpedals

Post by Devonpedals »

mattsccm wrote:Looking at your original post I see that you are considering mountain bikes and name a couple. Muddy Fox from the 80's were great. Muddy Fox from this century are about as cheap and nasty as they come and sold in t,he type of shop where they don't know which was is up.
Don't over think this.I would question my current bike until it had repeatedly proved to be inadequate.
Of course maybe you just want a new bike and are trying to convince yourself you need it. And why not?

Thanks for the heads-up and the 80s was when I sat remembered cycling - hence Muddy Fox

I always want a new everything, fortunately my wife makes noises when it looks like I might go ahead
Devonpedals

Post by Devonpedals »

greyingbeard wrote:Just get going and ride the bikes. Can fit fatter tyres any time.
Id go for tyres with a smooth ish middle and knobbly sides, easier on road and firm surfaces, reasonable grip on mud. Tractor tyres will grip better of course but are much harder work

Yes. Think you’re right
Devonpedals

Post by Devonpedals »

Nickeveson wrote:I used a Dawes Karakum for my ride on the Wimps Lejog....and it coped well with all surfaces that we rode on. Schwalbe Silento tyres were my choice

My bull horns are turned up and toward me to let me sit almost upright - neck problems cause a lot of discomfort when I’m lower down

Thanks for the comment all cheering
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

My dad (66 yrs old) uses his Karakoram on mountain bike trails where he lives.
My own bike (a tourer) is regularly treated like a mountain bike where I live on the Pennine moors and does just fine on slick tyres. Knobbly tyres only really come into their own in mud.
Tourers can take a lot of abuse and hammering.
Enjoy it :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Devonpedals

Post by Devonpedals »

Nickeveson wrote:I used a Dawes Karakum for my ride on the Wimps Lejog....and it coped well with all surfaces that we rode on. Schwalbe Silento tyres were my choice

Good to know, thanks
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

The Ruff Tuff Fellowship used to ride off-road before the MTB craze.They used conventional bikes all over on footpaths,and even where no trail existed.I liked theirspirit and outlook-very adventurous.If yiour weight is modest and jumps and kids stuff are avoided most bikes can handle a rough challenge.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mumbojumbo wrote:The Ruff Tuff Fellowship used to ride off-road before the MTB craze.They used conventional bikes all over on footpaths,and even where no trail existed.I liked theirspirit and outlook-very adventurous.If yiour weight is modest and jumps and kids stuff are avoided most bikes can handle a rough challenge.

Rough Stuff Fellowship (RSW).

www.rsf.org.uk. Still going strong.
John
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Sorry but I have a speech impediment and was dictating to my secretary.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

My wife rode a KaraKum for many years including the Coast to Coast, Trans-Pennine, Glasgow to Ayr, The Coast and Castles and several interim routes

It handled everything we threw at it from commuting, shopping to touring
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

The Pakistan government have now altered the name of the famous range of mountains from Karakorum to Karakum for simplicity.