Entry level Cannondale Trail advice

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
tbuckland4

Entry level Cannondale Trail advice

Post by tbuckland4 »

Hi everyone

I'm hoping to buy my first hard tail MTB as a winter commuter - my journey to work takes me through some fairly rough paths that my Trek FX3 hybrid is struggling with now everything is getting damp.

Naturally everywhere is struggling for stock but an opportunity has come up to acquire either a Cannondale Trail 6 or a Trail SE 4 coming in at £550 and £780 respectively. The 4 is about £200 outside of my budget but I'm aware it carries an extra 20mm travel in the front forks and a Deore derailleur which I'm told is something I want (I am still a bit of a noob when it comes to spec - sorry!) as opposed to the Acera on the Trail 6.

From what I've read, the Trail 6 should be OKAY for what I need, but might not cut the mustard if I find I want to start riding trails more regularly on weekends etc. I guess I could upgrade the forks if I wanted which wouldn't be cost efficient. So I guess my question is, does anyone have any experience riding either of these two bikes and would I be wasting my money in the long term if I compromised with the Trail 6 rather than splashing out on the SE 4?

Thanks in advance!
Tom
tbuckland4

Re: Entry level Cannondale Trail advice

Post by tbuckland4 »

I should have mentioned that both are fitted with Suntour forks, but the Trail 6 has the XCT 100mm travel whereas the 4 has XCR with 120mm. Neither have drop posts but both are compatible.

https://www.cannondale.com/en-gb/bikes/mountain/trail-bikes/trail/trail-se-4?sku=c26401m10sm

https://www.cannondale.com/en-gb/bikes/mountain/trail-bikes/trail/trail-6?sku=c26601m10sm

I'm still leaning toward the Trail 6, but I think that's largely due to its garish orange option.
hamster

Re: Entry level Cannondale Trail advice

Post by hamster »

I would take all comments about not being worthy of off-road trails with a pinch of salt. I ride a rigid singlespeed off-road most of the time. If I beleived the magazines I would be dead shortly after the first patch of leaves.

If you are going to ride aggressively with lots of jumps, it may not be for you. For anything else you will most probably be fine. Most peole run out of courage or skills long before they get to the bike's limits.