Do you think it would be worth me buying a modern MTB?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
bungle73

Do you think it would be worth me buying a modern MTB?

Post by bungle73 »

Currently my MTB is a 1999 Orange Clockwork, which I bought when it was brand new and the latest thing out. Obviously things have moved on in the MTB world quite a bit since then. Do you think I'd get some benefit from a modern bike?

I wouldn't know which one to get though. There appear to be so many different options, where as when I bought my current there were just "mountain bikes", and I bought one that took my fancy that I saw in magazines.
Paulatic

Re: Do you think it would be worth me buying a modern MTB?

Post by Paulatic »

I bought new in 1998 Orange P7 relished in the fact I could take it anywhere, indeed I did, and was often referred to as Mr Rigid. :D
Last year aged 67 sitting at home one evening after hammering round the Ae red route I felt absolutely hammered, every muscle was complaining, and thought it’s maybe time to get modern. I hired and tried out modern full suspension and hard tail 29ers. Today’s MtB are totally different with relaxed angles and even what they call light are damned heavy compared to an old Orange. I couldn’t see myself riding any of them very far.
I did end up selling the P7 mostly to, grow up, and loose the temptation to speed around off road trails and replaced it with a rigid 29er. A gravel type of bike which I can still do rough stuff on but perhaps at more of a sedate pace. :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

Depends what you need, many people buy a mountain bike and just ride it on the road or flat trails so they didn't need it, others enjoy taking them fully off-road down some tricky trails so would benefit from a modern mountain bike over a retro mountain bike. I like riding off-road but only taking in the countryside along paths and gravel. I don't do tricky trails where I have to jump over obstacles or gaps. A basic mountain bike, hybrid or even gravel bike is ok for me.

Sounds like you have had your value out of the bike and you are feeling like you want something new? Maybe go to an ebike demo day that might put a smile on your face.
Si

Post by Si »

I would say that swapping to a bike with 700c/29er wheels will be noticeable off road (I noticed the difference on rough stuff bikes), but although the larger wheels do flow over things better it's not like you had any real issues with the 26" wheels, right? Marginal gains etc.

Some say that modern bikes with 700c/29er wheels don't handle as well as those with 26" but to my mind any difference can be as much to do with the individual bike design.

Likewise, modern suspension works a bit better than older suspension when comparing like for like (e.g. a modern cheapo fork won't necessarily be better than an old top quality fork).

Thus, for MTBing I'd say if you have been happy on the old bike this long there's no reason that you _have to_ change. However, even if it hasd no technical advantage a nice shiny new bike might inspire you to ride more and try more ambitious rides.

If, on the other hand, you do moderately gentle trails and link them up with road miles then consider a gravel bike as it'll be much better for the road parts of the ride.

If in doubt find somewhere at a trail centre that does hire bikes and have a go - see how a few models feel.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

I do proper off road on bridleways and byways. Actually I've been inspired by a few YT videos to take it down to Bedgebury, since the trails there don't seem too demanding, and it looks like fun. Any problems with that with the bike I have?

I know they're supposed to more aggressive in the riding position than modern ones, and the bike is fitted with a massive stem, but I still feel quite upright on it. I fitted a riser bar year ago, which brings me back a bit, and I'm used to mainly riding road bikes these days, which have me more stretched and so that is what I am used to, so after that the MTB feels more upright.

Something new and shiny would be nice though. And I'm sure the modern features would be a benefit.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

The trouble with trying one out is that I know of nowhere local, and I don't have a car to get to anywhere that isn't accessible by public transport.

TBH every time I've bought a new bike I've always ended up buying blind. I've never regretted a purchase though.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

Is it my imagination or are modern mountain bikes a lot longer? I need to take it on the train to get where I want to ride, could that cause me a problem? I often have to place it by the doors.
peetee

Post by peetee »

The clockwork was a great bike for its time and as to whether it suits you better than a recent bike, that’s difficult for us to say. My 1989 MTB has a similar spec and geometry to the Clockwork. It’s fabulous for covering ground with minimum effort. I have ridden all sorts of terrain from forest fire roads to rocky mountain trails but now, 30 years on, I am getting a bit weary of its lack of suspension and low front end.
Modern MTB’s tend to have a more upright stance and full suspension technology makes them extremely capable on rough surfaces but they are bulky heavy machines in comparison to your Orange and a most run 1x gearing systems which aren’t everybody’s cup o tea.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

I’d most likely go for another hard tail, since I probably don’t want to spend mega money on a decent FS.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Then if your Orange still fits you and is in good condition keep it. The only real benefit with a modern hard tail is hydraulic disc brakes but are you going to be doing the sort of riding that requires that level of braking power?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
toontra

Post by toontra »

I still use a '92 Clockwork for daily commuting and touring (just booked 2 weeks in Tenerife and that's what will be coming with me). Fantastic bikes. If your frame is still good & fits you then upgrade components where necessary.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

OK, maybe I will stick with what I have then. The only problem with such an old bike is finding parts for it. I needed a new set of tyres recently and found there isn't much (or really any) choice of 26" tyres these days. I had to get what I needed from a seller on eBay.

So what about sending it down the singletrack course at Bedgebury?
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

peetee wrote:Then if your Orange still fits you and is in good condition keep it. The only real benefit with a modern hard tail is hydraulic disc brakes but are you going to be doing the sort of riding that requires that level of braking power?

I don't think so. The more consistent braking in all conditions would be nice though.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

bungle73 wrote:Is it my imagination or are modern mountain bikes a lot longer? I need to take it on the train to get where I want to ride, could that cause me a problem? I often have to place it by the doors.

Yes I think they are. It’s a shame you can’t get to hire one for a day. I found the geometry so relaxed there was little excitement and I could almost fall asleep on one. :D

The lack of 26" tyre choice and harder to find rims were indeed a factor which lured me to hydraulic discs.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

I think I found my answer re Bedgebury. I just watched a YT video where someone took a retro MTB (older than mine) down a modern singletrack trail (not Bedgebury but somewhere in the US I think), and the conclusion was that the it was fun and the bike handled it well. He mentioned poor traction from the tyres, but it sounded like they were contemporary with the bike, but the ones I have are modern.

I guess my bike may be old, but at the end of the day it's still a mountain bike.

Paulatic wrote:
bungle73 wrote:Is it my imagination or are modern mountain bikes a lot longer? I need to take it on the train to get where I want to ride, could that cause me a problem? I often have to place it by the doors.

Yes I think they are. It’s a shame you can’t get to hire one for a day. I found the geometry so relaxed there was little excitement and I could almost fall asleep on one. :D

The lack of 26" tyre choice and harder to find rims were indeed a factor which lured me to hydraulic discs.

Maybe it's only a matter of time before I need to upgrade then.