Dropper post on retro MTB?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
bungle73

Re: Dropper post on retro MTB?

Post by bungle73 »

mumbojumbo wrote:A hundred pounds seems expensive way to vary height of post-could buy a decent s/h bike for that from Trash Converters.

Define "decent"? Somehow I don't think I'd get a modern equivalent to the one I have for that kind of money.
peetee

Post by peetee »

mumbojumbo wrote:A hundred pounds seems expensive way to vary height of post-could buy a decent s/h bike for that from Trash Converters.

If I was doing the sort of riding that requires a dropper post there is no way I would do it on anything I could buy for £100.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Unread postby bungle73 » 12 Dec 2020, 10:13pm

mumbojumbo wrote:
A hundred pounds seems expensive way to vary height of post-could buy a decent s/h bike for that from Trash Converters.

Define "decent"? Somehow I don't think I'd get a modern equivalent to the one I have for that kind of money.

£49 for specialized rockhopper with front suspension-possibly good enough even for cyclists as discerning as yourself.Even got disc breakes for the trendier rider.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

eetee » 12 Dec 2020, 11:02pm

mumbojumbo wrote:
A hundred pounds seems expensive way to vary height of post-could buy a decent s/h bike for that from Trash Converters.

If I was doing the sort of riding that requires a dropper post there is no way I would do it on anything I could buy for £100.
Winter had arrived in the land of Kernow. Along with it came wet roads and cool winds.
“Oh, my wheels and coupling rods!” Peetee exclaimed.

You must be better than me as a cyclist.

Dropper posts have opened up the possibilities of just how quickly riders and their mountain bike can adapt to varying terrain. With the flick of a switch, riders now have the option of comfortable and efficient pedaling, or confident descending with ample room for the bike to move beneath them without a saddle in the way.

I would get off bike and drop saddle two seconds dead.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

mumbojumbo wrote:I would get off bike and drop saddle two seconds dead.

You'd have saved yourself a few bob too - winner! It reminds me of my rally-driving days: all the other suckers were shelling out on windscreen wipers, whereas I just had a squirty bottle of soapy water and a rag. Quick stop, nip out, squirt and a wipe, and hey presto: a clean window at a fraction of the price - ker-ching!
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

mumbojumbo wrote:
Unread postby bungle73 » 12 Dec 2020, 10:13pm

mumbojumbo wrote:

£49 for specialized rockhopper with front suspension-possibly good enough even for cyclists as discerning as yourself.Even got disc breakes for the trendier rider.

I've already got a bike with front suspension, so, apart from disc brakes, what would that give me?
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

Apart from old relics I'm not seeing any bikes for that price on eBay anyway.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Ebay is a dead loss for buyers-Cash Converters always have some bargains
eg GT Grade gravel bike,value £700,bought for £80.