Dropper post on retro MTB?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
bungle73

Dropper post on retro MTB?

Post by bungle73 »

Further to my other thread, where I came the conclusion that I'd stick with my current bike (1999 Orange Clockwork), do you think it would be worth adding a dropper post to it? It seems to be the thing to have now. I'm currently been trying to use a quick release, but it's a bit of a faff, and I think it keeps slipping.
Cavemud

Re: Dropper post on retro MTB?

Post by Cavemud »

I was using a gravity dropper long before dropper posts became mainstream.

Always found them immensely helpful in maintaining optimum pedalling position for the ups whilst being able to get weight back for the downs.

Don't see that keeping your old bike changes this in any way?

Only thing to consider is that not many dropper posts come in the smaller 27.2mm size, but I managed to get a Thomson elite dropper in that size a few years ago.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

Cavemud wrote:I was using a gravity dropper long before dropper posts became mainstream.

Always found them immensely helpful in maintaining optimum pedalling position for the ups whilst being able to get weight back for the downs.

Only thing to consider is that not many dropper posts come in the smaller 27.2mm size, but I managed to get a Thomson elite dropper in that size a few years ago.

I mean worth putting one on a bike so old. Wiggle/CRC's Brand X do a 27.2 one.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

I just found out it's not actually 27.2 at all! It appears to be 29.6. So that's a non starter then.

I also have a USE suspension seat post hanging around that I bought years ago, and swapped out for the original a few years ago. I wonder if I might get more benefit putting that back on.....
hamster

Post by hamster »

bungle73 wrote:I just found out it's not actually 27.2 at all! It appears to be 29.6. So that's a non starter then.

27.2 plus a shim. I've run that on my 96 P7 for years, in fact they came with shims as standard.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

hamster wrote:
bungle73 wrote:I just found out it's not actually 27.2 at all! It appears to be 29.6. So that's a non starter then.

27.2 plus a shim. I've run that on my 96 P7 for years, in fact they came with shims as standard.

Actually last night I remembered that when I bought the USE post I had to buy it with a shim, and that shim might fit. I think that post is 27.2 since that was the largest of the options that they did, and I measured it. So take the shim off the USE post and put on the dropper and I think I am sorted.

I think the quick release is still slipping - I did try taking it off and giving everything a clean to see if that helped recently. I just took the bike for a test ride (because I installed a new stem) and I'm pretty sure the saddle slipped down while I was on it. I was considering putting the original clamp back on.
hamster

Post by hamster »

I'm not sure yours uses the same tubing, but I had a similar problem - it needed a 29.8 shim.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Cavemud wrote:I was using a gravity dropper long before dropper posts became mainstream.

I've still got an old dropper mechanism (I can't remember what it was officially called) that I used in my 1986 Muddy Fox. I probably got it before the end of the 80s.

It is a thin rod that works an expander (like in the bottom of an old quill stem) & a big spring that rested on the expander at the bottom with the top against the bottom of the seatpost. Releasing the seatpost QR meant you could adjust the saddle up & down as you rode along.

It's party trick was if the saddle was down when you stopped & dismounted. If you then released the QR you could fire the saddle & seatpost about 8ft in the air! :shock:
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
peetee

Post by peetee »

A lot of the dropper posts I have seen have the control cable emerging from a hole in the lower part of the seat tube. Obviously this could be an issue if the frame isn’t designed for one.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

peetee wrote:A lot of the dropper posts I have seen have the control cable emerging from a hole in the lower part of the seat tube. Obviously this could be an issue if the frame isn’t designed for one.

The one I'm looking at (and the only I've seen that will fit my bike) has externally routed cable.
Newtface

Post by Newtface »

I tend to find that my older 1990s MTBs get ridden fairly gently these days; used more like gravel bikes. I can see the benefit of a dropper in a more modern bike that gets thrashed hard but I wouldn't go to the trouble and expense of fitting one to an older bike.
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

Just bought one of these from Rose Bikes to try. XLC SP-T09 Telescopic Remote Dropper Seatpost. No cables at all, the lever is under the seat, so not as convenient as having a lever on the handlebar. 27.2mm. Haven't fitted it yet.

https://www.rosebikes.com/xlc-sp-t09-te ... hape=black
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

Newtface wrote:I tend to find that my older 1990s MTBs get ridden fairly gently these days; used more like gravel bikes. I can see the benefit of a dropper in a more modern bike that gets thrashed hard but I wouldn't go to the trouble and expense of fitting one to an older bike.

Mine is my main (and one and only) MTB. I took it down the singletrack at Bedgebury the other day. Hence why I was looking at one.

I already ordered one. It's a Brand X model, so not too expensive.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

A hundred pounds seems expensive way to vary height of post-could buy a decent s/h bike for that from Trash Converters.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

mumbojumbo wrote:A hundred pounds seems expensive way to vary height of post-could buy a decent s/h bike for that from Trash Converters.

In the world of steep trail riding, dropper posts are pretty-much universally accepted as the single-most important modification you can make to your bike. The ability to instantly drop your saddle for tricky stuff and raise it for flat riding or steep climbs is worth every penny.