Switching from clipless to flats,shoes

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Roy A

Re: Switching from clipless to flats,shoes

Post by Roy A »

Prior to breaking my ankle in 2018 I wore Shimano Road shoes and SPD-SL pedals on my road bike and Shimano MTB shoes and SPF pedals on my MTB. Riding my Brompton in Salomon walking shoes using the stock pedals. Early in my recovery and encouraged by my physio I began cycling using platform pedals with short toeclips on my road bike and flat pedals on my MTB.

For the last couple of years all my cycling has been with ECCO Terracruise shoes ( the Lite version, which has a part mesh upper that dries quickly after getting wet, in summer: or the GTX version, which has Goretex uppers, when its cooler. These trainer style shoes hav, e frim enough soles for me, more than enough grip on the flat pedals yet also allow for a quick dismount should one be necessary.

I still have my Shimano shoes (the MTB version have the cleat cover refitted but I haven't worn them since removing the cleats) and several sets of clipless pedals, however, I don't expect to return to them.
King of Mercia, Giant Defy, Raleigh MTB, Brompton M3L & S6L
Newtface

Post by Newtface »

V8s or V12s depending on budget and ride in your regular trainers and see how it goes. Upgrade to a pair of 5/10 shoes as and when -)
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

Newtface wrote:V8s or V12s depending on budget and ride in your regular trainers and see how it goes. Upgrade to a pair of 5/10 shoes as and when -)

I've already got a pair of V12s on the way. I bought them based on the reviews. People seemed to like them.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

PH wrote: I was given some really wide plastic ones (Can't remember the make) which are fantastic.

This was my experience but plastic with the grip pins molded into the plastic -- much lighter and less chance of it shredding the back of your leg if you slip.

PH wrote:In the previous thread, people were saying that the pins hadn't damaged the soles, this hasn't been my experience. It hasn't wrecked any, but it's done enough damage that it would upset me if it were my expensive walking shoes.

The molded pins haven't even marked my soft trainer foam soles.
I am here. Where are you?
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

A few months ago I moved from pedals and clips to flats on my mountain bike. I haven't bought any special footwear and have just been trying out whatever I've got handy at the time. Results:

Converse are okay in terms of grip, and they've got a completely flat heel-less sole, so you can position your foot where you like without problems. Obviously they offer zero support and zero weather protection. As with all Converse, I suspect they'll fall to bits in record time, which is a problem as they're so expensive.

Walking boots seem okay in terms of grip, but the big clunky heel means you've got limited options in terms of where you place your foot, and it feels a little bit like you're being forced to ride on tip-toe. Great protection for your ankles and against mud/rain. I use cheapo Lidl walking boots so I'm not going to lose any sleep if I wreck them, but so far they appear unscathed.

My best ones in terms of grip and feel are a pair of lightweight Lidl casual shoes with a flat rubbery sole which has got a smooth reinforced plasticky patch right where it would meet the pedal. These feel superb, but offer zero protection.

I don't think I'd shell out for a pair of 5-10s etc. because normal shoes/boots do a reasonable job, but one of my mates has a pair and swears by them.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

Do you think I'd get away with using a (really) old pair of Specialized Rockhopper shoes that I have? They're an SPD-compatible shoe but they have a fairly flat sole. They do have cleats attached though. I'm not sure what I did with the covers - I think I might have thrown them away. I tried the walking shoes for a (very) short ride, but the laces are pain, where as the Specializeds, being cycle specific shoes, have a strap to put the laces under
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

I just got my answer. I just tried them out for a short spin. It didn't feel like they gripped the pedals anywhere nearly as well as the walking shoes.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

I just took the the bike with flats and dropper post to the Singletrack at Bedgebury and for some reason I lost absolutely all my confidence. When we went last week I did have to walk a few bits here and there, but I managed to ride most of it, but this time I seemed unable to ride a significant amount We gave up on ths singletrack after a few sections and just rode around. It did seem like it may have been more muddy than before, which didn't help, but maybe that was my imagination and it wasn't. Now I'm wondering if I am actually better of with the clipless as that is what I am used to............
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Clipless will always have the advantage in keeping you in contact with the bike so you can get the power down and don't get rattled off the pedals going over the bumpy stuff. If you don't feel a safety need for flats, then clipless is probably the right choice for you. The reason I switched to flats is that I'd found one particular rocky right-hand turn impossible and I suspected it was down to my toe-clips, i.e. whilst all my weight was forward and I was on the verge of falling over, I was worried I wouldn't be able to get a foot out in time to save myself. When I first tried my new flats, they felt horrible because I got bounced off them a few times. However, I soon got used to them, and I now find them much more convenient for tricky technical stuff - if you do end up stopping in front of an obstacle, you can quickly get your feet on and go rather than messing around track-standing trying to get your feet in the clips.

I'd give your flats a couple of weeks before you give up on them. And make sure you've got decent flat shoes which the pins can dig into and give you grip.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

DevonDamo wrote:Clipless will always have the advantage in keeping you in contact with the bike so you can get the power down and don't get rattled off the pedals going over the bumpy stuff. If you don't feel a safety need for flats, then clipless is probably the right choice for you. The reason I switched to flats is that I'd found one particular rocky right-hand turn impossible and I suspected it was down to my toe-clips, i.e. whilst all my weight was forward and I was on the verge of falling over, I was worried I wouldn't be able to get a foot out in time to save myself. When I first tried my new flats, they felt horrible because I got bounced off them a few times. However, I soon got used to them, and I now find them much more convenient for tricky technical stuff - if you do end up stopping in front of an obstacle, you can quickly get your feet on and go rather than messing around track-standing trying to get your feet in the clips.

I'd give your flats a couple of weeks before you give up on them. And make sure you've got decent flat shoes which the pins can dig into and give you grip.

I was using the walking shoes I've got, which the others here seem to think would work well, and that, when I took them for a test ride, seemed to be gripped by the pedals well. I don't really want to splash out on some brand new shoes that might become useless if I'm not going to stick with that route.

As for falling over, I think I've reached the stage now where my muscle memory has well and truly kicked in. It wasn't on the MTB, but on the road bike (same shoes and pedals though) a while ago, I was riding along a tiny out of the way crappy country lane. There was a patch of muddy crap on a steep climb where I slipped and thought I was going fall over (obviously little to no tread on a road tyre). My foot was out of my pedal before I even thought about it.

I do have some multi-release cleats I have hanging around that I used when I first started riding clipless; maybe I could put them on.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

You haven't said whether there was anything that was causing your loss of confidence, which I expect is because you don't know. That's a regular occurrence for me: for some unknown reason I'll have a ride when I'm just not relaxed and I keep fluffing every turn or descent.

However, if you think the flat pedals might have something to do with it, then the most likely explanation is that you were spooked by the lack of connection between you and the bike. In which case, I'd definitely consider flat-soled shoes rather than walking boots. The reason I say this is that walking boots have big grip pattern in their soles, so lots of opportunities for the pins in your flat pedals to be sticking up into thin air, rather than piercing into the sole. You don't need to spend a fortune on posh MTB-specific footwear. The Lidl ones I mentioned earlier cost less than a tenner and work fantastically - you are genuinely stuck to the pedals. (But you can still get off in a hurry if you need to.)

It could also be to do with the dropper - i.e. you've now got one extra control to think about and if you get it wrong, you could end up going down a steep technical descent with your seat to far up to allow you to get your weight back.

But I'd say the most likely thing that knocked your confidence was just having too much new 'stuff' to think about. When that happens, you often find everything goes wrong because your mind is working at the conscious level rather than just allowing your much-faster sub-conscious reactions to take over. It's like walking - if you just do it, you'll be fine, but if you stop to actually think about how you're doing it, you'll end up looking like you've had a hip-replacement.

That's why I say you ought to give the new pedals a few weeks before making a decision - if you can relax and ride in your normal way, you might find your confidence returns and the pedals feel good. And don't forget about dropping your heels - that's important no matter what sort of pedals you've got (because it lowers your centre of gravity and puts you in a position where you can push your weight back, e.g. when braking or getting your weight back off the front wheel) but it's extra important with flats in order to keep your foot planted.
Harpsta22

Post by Harpsta22 »

:D I generally swap to flat pedals for the winter, and use £20/£30 walking shoes from budget sport stores. Purely because where I ride it gets pretty shitty in the winter and find there’s more walking involved. Also if group riding there’s also some emergency stopping due to conditions or someone having an off. So it’s good to get feet down quickly.

Ironically I took the kids around the local forest tracks yesterday,still using my spd’s and for whatever reason could not release my foot when we stopped. I toppled over down into a drainage ditch, and now nursing a very swollen ankle.
:D :D
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

DevonDamo wrote:then the most likely explanation is that you were spooked by the lack of connection between you and the bike.

I think you just hit the nail on the head.

In which case, I'd definitely consider flat-soled shoes rather than walking boots. The reason I say this is that walking boots have big grip pattern in their soles, so lots of opportunities for the pins in your flat pedals to be sticking up into thin air, rather than piercing into the sole. You don't need to spend a fortune on posh MTB-specific footwear. The Lidl ones I mentioned earlier cost less than a tenner and work fantastically - you are genuinely stuck to the pedals. (But you can still get off in a hurry if you need to.)

They're shoes not boots. The tread is not as aggressive as boots. Nethertheless I'll check the ones you suggested out. Thanks.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

One of the reasons I stick to flats now is due to a near crash on the road at high speed.

Thankfully I was on flats at the time. On a fast downhill road my front wheel slipped into a tram line type gully made by previous Roadworks and possibly widened by shrinkage in the tarmac.

There was an instant and violent war dance saved by a quick dab down on the road with my right foot.

Bashed my toe on the road which was painful but would have been a lot worse if I'd came off at 35MPH! Never mind a smashed up bike.

I knew for sure I'd never been able to get my feet out of the clips in time to save that one. The other reason is eventual knee pain but only in clip in pedals.
I am here. Where are you?
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

bungle73 wrote:Do you think I'd get away with using a (really) old pair of Specialized Rockhopper shoes that I have? They're an SPD-compatible shoe but they have a fairly flat sole.

SPD shoes will typically have tough stiff soles for power transfer so will be pretty bad for flats. Ideal flat shoes are basically skate style shoes with flat & flexible soles. Not sure I really see the point in spending as much as 5-10s etc myself unless you're a fair weather only mtber, expensive things for the amount of abuse they'll get.

It does feel very different, clipless is a bit of a luxury really in connectedness to the bike, not just with powering up technical climbs but also the way you can shove the back end around is often greater or easier than in flats. Partly why some flats proponents can get a bit snooty about bunny hopping & jumps in clipless not being 'proper' :D
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop