Through hub bolt

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
blue_bluewater

Through hub bolt

Post by blue_bluewater »

This may sound a stupid question but I just would like peoples thoughts / procedures.
I had a Tricross comp and that had quick release spindles. The bike was stolen and replaced by a Specialized diverge (insurance company). The Diverge has thru hub bolts, which I believe are common on MTBs.
Now the stupid question:
The user manual states that the bolts should be checked with a torque wrench before riding (each ride), also that it would need torquing after say a puncture repair.
Does anyone actually do this or expect that it should be done. Does anyone carry a torque wrench? or is it he case that like with a quick release, just check it hasn't come obviously loose (i.e. bounce the bike) before riding.
May sound stupid but I'd appreciate feedback, on checks before riding with thi type of fastening.
Jdsk

Re: Through hub bolt

Post by Jdsk »

I would guess that for all critical fasteners:
1 Very few carry a conventional torque wrench, although some carry one of those single-setting gadgets.
2 Most try and learn *how much force in the workshop and then replicate that on the road...
3 ... and set it correctly when back at base.

Jonathan

* Probably as in "wrist tight", "forearm tight", "putting your back into it tight" etc.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I've got a frame/forks with thru-axles and they are marked at 6nm so when building the frame up I torqued the axles up to 6nm then tried to undo them with the supplied 2" lever and found it very difficult. Think I might have to trim an old 6mm allen key down to fit in my toolkit for this bike.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Erm I just do mine up until they're 'about right' if putting the wheels on and minimal is anything obviously wrong pre-ride check... Not died yet :lol:

and no, don't take a torque wrench with me if putting the wheels back on if the bike's been in the car, though I have fairly reasonable feel of what the ~10nm mine ask for is with the multi-tool I use.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop