Mudguard advice

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
francovendee

Re: Mudguard advice

Post by francovendee »

colin54 wrote:Spa have the 26''x 65mm wide in silver on offer at the moment, £27 plus £ 4 shipping
It's the Chromoplastic ones I like personally, not the SKS bluemels, I think that's what's on the red bike, not as nice quality.
Other shops may have them in black (actually dark brown with black stripes down the centre) possibly cheaper I don't know.
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m19b62s80p1 ... -Mudguards
The mud flap on them is fairly useless, I replace it with something homemade as mentioned.

Thanks for the link I've just bought a pair, a very good price :D
I'd already got them on the bike but the front one is broken and repaired with Gaffer tape.
The safety clip didn't work when a stick got caught between the tyre and mudguard. Luckily the mudguard broke so no harm done to me.
This incident has put me off looking for a metal pair.
colin54

Re: Mudguard advice

Post by colin54 »

francovendee wrote:The safety clip didn't work when a stick got caught between the tyre and mudguard. Luckily the mudguard broke so no harm done to me.

That's interesting and slightly concerning about the safety clip not releasing, I've seen that on a different type of clip fitted
on the rear of someone else's bike, and it folded the guard and dragged it under and locked the wheel, luckily at low speed.
I've noticed that they do seem to be a tight fit, I wonder if a bit of light filing on the stay itself might make them release slightly more easily (on the outside diameter of the formed eyelet). I assume that's the part of the stay that engages with the moulding inside the clip, though you don't want them so loose they rattle about or come adrift .
Glad you didn't take a header...
Edit, I think I've found a use for the useless standard mudflap fitted to these, fit it to the front to push back that wind driven spray you get off of the tip of the guard, I might fix it a bit more permanently if it works, you never know, worth a try for no cost. The guard fits into a slot moulded in the flap
P1120616.JPG

Nu-Fogey