Ortlieb fork pack

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Sweep

Re: Ortlieb fork pack

Post by Sweep »

nick12 wrote: 20 May 2021, 8:41pm Just ordered a pair of the podsac fork bags 30% of at the moment shall see how they go.
Please report back nick. Still not ridden with mine so you may well beat me to it.
Am quietly confident about them though.
Sweep
nick12

Post by nick12 »

I will report on them when I test them . Thanks again sweep for the link.
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Fitted the podsac cages onto the triple braze on inserts on the troll, was hoping to attach to the front set but they foul against my rack shelf which attaches to the canti bosses so had to use the rear set of three they then stop me using the mudguard due to been in the way of the stays. So removed the mudguard and replaced with a sks beaver tail which I had.
I fitted the cage with a 10mm washer and 20 mm bolts for maximum hold the cages are robust and firm. I used the front inserts for bottle cages which works well.
I got the larger 5.5L bags. sleeping bag and liner in one , multimat and pillow in the other the two straps held them nice and tight in the cages.
Been out for a ride this weekend some off-road and cycle tracks. They stayed put and didn't move so very pleased with them.
I got a couple of the 10L drybags too for the tent, footprint and kneeling pad on the front and food and change of clothes for the top of the rear rack. Which I'm pleased with too at about £5 each. All seem like they should last for a good few tours and outings so very pleased. Much lighter than using my panniers and more streamline for off-road touring.
Just need to buy some more mudguard stays and try and form them around the cage . I don't think surly intended the troll to be used with mud guards.
Attachments
IMG_20210530_100915_6.jpg
IMG_20210530_195345_4.jpg
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

many thanks for reporting back nick.
Like you I can see myself using them instead of front panniers with a rack.
I've also bought a fair few drybags from Planet X, Podsacs brand - maybe don't have quite the feel of Ortlieb but perfectly good tough and functional. They used to do nice mesh bags for organising stuff as well but seem to have given up on those.
Sweep
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Hoping to do off road tour at the end of June so will see how it goes.
Have you tried the white bags you get in supermarkets for fresh produce. I like them for keeping things organised in. They do the job and are cheap.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

nick12 wrote: 31 May 2021, 4:09pm Hoping to do off road tour at the end of June so will see how it goes.
Have you tried the white bags you get in supermarkets for fresh produce. I like them for keeping things organised in. They do the job and are cheap.
Bit wimpy, the planet x podsacs bags are tough,good drawstring, non-mesh base, perfect for all sorts of stuff.
Sweep