South Downs Way

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
sjl

South Downs Way

Post by sjl »

I was hoping to do it on a rigid MTB with panniers - from what I have seen in pictures it looks mostly like chalk singletrack so I thought I would get away with it?

Was also thinking of wild camping for two nights - any particular areas to recommend or avoid pls (would go winchester to brighton over three days)

BTW - my first post - hello everyone and thanks for letting me on your nice forum!
pk

Re: South Downs Way

Post by pk »

sjl wrote:I was hoping to do it on a rigid MTB with panniers - from what I have seen in pictures it looks mostly like chalk singletrack so I thought I would get away with it?

!

I did it on a rigid mtb without paniers - and bought a front suspension MTB the next week!

It is do-able but very hard on the hands on the flinty downhill stretches
stoobs

Post by stoobs »

I've been doing it the South Downs Way these past 15 years, and I love it!

However, chalk tracks are not as smooth as one might think - not by a long way. Chalk when wet is up there with ice for traction, and there are flints galore. There's a reason they made axes and scrapers from flint - they're sharp!

So, rigid with panniers is ok if you keep your speed down, but you need to be careful, especially on the downhills - near Amberley and SteyningBramber, for example. You need to slow down and/or stand on the pedals to get off the saddle and give your machine a smoother line. Avoid flints, and wtach out for tracks where they've recently cut hawthorns and blackthorns. In the wet, even with properly pumped tyres, they'll give you flats.

I would also recommend knobbly tyres unless you know it's not going to rain.
lloyd

Post by lloyd »

The SDW is a super route, I've done it a couple of times. Personally I'd go with a small rucksack rather than panniers. I agree with the above comments about the chalk, when wet it can be very skiddy.
CJ

Post by CJ »

stoobs wrote:I've been doing it the South Downs Way these past 15 years ...

And I thought three days was pretty relaxed :shock:
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
stoobs

Post by stoobs »

CJ wrote:
stoobs wrote:I've been doing it the South Downs Way these past 15 years ...

And I thought three days was pretty relaxed :shock:

....al....most...there! :lol: :lol: :lol:
stewartpratt

Re: South Downs Way

Post by stewartpratt »

sjl wrote:I was hoping to do it on a rigid MTB with panniers - from what I have seen in pictures it looks mostly like chalk singletrack so I thought I would get away with it?

If it's this time of year you're planning, be warned that it's just coming into the most slippery season with the slippery wet surface on top of smooth, hard ground. You learn quick reactions round here ;)

Rigid is no problem, but I (just my preference) would recommend large tyres with firm sidewalls to allow you to drop the pressure without getting pinch punctures. I find Tioga DH work very well (and are cheap). Quite draggy, but they give great suspension at very low pressures and if you're taking three days a bit of drag will be well worth it for the comfort and grip.
workhard

Post by workhard »

I go for thin (1.5") mud, i.e. tread blocks widely spaced, tyres at this time of year until the spring to get enough frame clearance when the chalk and clay all clag up on the back wheel, else it stops turning.

Not as comfy as proper fat tyres perhaps but then I have a thudbuster style seat post for that which goes on at the same time as the thin tyres.

As with all things cycle related there is no right or wrong, just what suits you and what doesn't.
squeaker

Closure of SDW short section in West Sussex

Post by squeaker »

FWIW, WSCC will be closing 'for improvement' the short (~100m) section of the SDW between Botolphs Bridge (River Adur) and the A283 from 8 October 2008.
Alternative routes are:
- from the west, after crossing to the east bank of the Adur, go south down the Downslink (towards Shoreham) for about 200m, then go up the bank onto the A283 (by the terraced houses - Dacre Gardens) and back north to the usual A283 crossing point
- divert via Bramber and Upper Beeding on the Downs Link (if coming from the west) or a short stretch of A283 (if coming from the east) - warning: there are 4 pubs and several oriental restaurants and take-aways on this route....

The WSCC contact for this work is Jon Perks 01243 777621.
"42"