Cycling the Leeds Liverpool canal video

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
thirdcrank

Re: Cycling the Leeds Liverpool canal video

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm not a big fan of the pork pies myself but the rest are so maybe get some before we set off. -- is there anywhere you'd recommend in Skipton to eat -- we are meeting up with friends when we arrive back in Skipton -- eg can you sit in ( or outside ) at the pork pie shop?
There are plenty of places where you might sit and eat a growler: eg the nearby High Street, especially when there's a market; the grounds of the castle or the church; or I think there's seating near the canal which may be handy for you. BITD, the Black Horse pub on High Street (which doubles as the market place) was very popular with cyclists. I don't know what it's like now and some of the tripadvisor reviews are negative.

https://whatpub.com/pubs/SKI/SKIP-1-BLA ... se-skipton

Here's a streetview of High Street on a non-market day. The market stalls go where the cars are parked on the cobbled areas. The Black Horse is just out of shot on the right

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.96261 ... 384!8i8192
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

thirdcrank wrote: 29 May 2021, 2:53pm
I'm not a big fan of the pork pies myself but the rest are so maybe get some before we set off. -- is there anywhere you'd recommend in Skipton to eat -- we are meeting up with friends when we arrive back in Skipton -- eg can you sit in ( or outside ) at the pork pie shop?
There are plenty of places where you might sit and eat a growler: eg the nearby High Street, especially when there's a market; the grounds of the castle or the church; or I think there's seating near the canal which may be handy for you. BITD, the Black Horse pub on High Street (which doubles as the market place) was very popular with cyclists. I don't know what it's like now and some of the tripadvisor reviews are negative.

https://whatpub.com/pubs/SKI/SKIP-1-BLA ... se-skipton
Thanks thirdcrank I'll keep that in mind -- in 4 weeks time we should be setting off from here, getting to Skipton on Sunday night ready for narrowboat on Monday. Hope that Indian variant doesn't scupper our plans.
I am here. Where are you?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I hope all goes well for you. I don't suppose anybody can predict the progress of this virus but Skipton is beyond the area I'd have thought might be most at risk.
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

thirdcrank wrote: 29 May 2021, 12:44pm Skipton itself is an interesting place…
If you are hungry and like pork pies, this is a good shop:

https://www.stanforthbutchers.co.uk/
I'll second that. Skipton has a special place in Mrs. M-k's heart and mine, born of our first Stanforth Butchers' pork pies munched happily beside the canal more than 20 years ago.

:shock: :D 8)
colin54

Post by colin54 »

thirdcrank wrote: 29 May 2021, 2:53pm
There are plenty of places where you might sit and eat a growler: eg the nearby High Street, especially when there's a market; the grounds of the castle or the church...
I can heartily recommend the award winning pork pies (eaten warm) and peas from Farmhouse Fare at the far end of the High Street, (the picture doesn't quite do the taste justice) ! I missed out on the mint sauce by the look of this picture.
I used to sit in the chuchyard opposite to eat (with a cup of tea). It's a nice spot to watch the world go by ( being raised up a few feet from street level ). I never knew they were called growlers thirdcrank, you live and learn.
P1020210.JPG
https://www.farmhouse-fare.co.uk/
Nu-Fogey
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A great pic and as well as the grub and bike, the Skipton Market can be seen in the background, illustrating what I was trying to say earlier

You had me thinking about growler - I suppose it differentiates the food from rhyming slang. I checked and found this
3. NORTHERN ENGLISH

a pork pie.

"you can't beat a good growler with brown sauce"
I see it also can mean a small iceberg (hopefully rare on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal) and
4 US informal

a jug used for carrying draught beer.
Perfect with pie and peas.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

If you ever pass Saltaire on the towpath and there's a bowls match on, go up the stairs into the clubhouse, they get the best pork pies from a local village butchers with a cup of tea. A perfect distance for a snack from the Leeds end of the canal, plus you get to watch the bowls (crown-green), great fun, not at all like the southern game, more down to earth.
Plus there may be a barge selling ice cream there, I don't know if it's still there with covid though. There's also a nice cafe/bakers about a quarter of a mile up the hill on the RHS with public toilets opposite. Salts Mill itself of course with a
restaurant, David Hockney exhibits and arty stuff shop, next to the canal.
http://www.saltsmill.org.uk/
Nu-Fogey
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Well -- nearly at the end of our narrow boat experience and it has been very nice.

Saw lots of extraordinary bicycles up and down the towpath.

There were two guys on two stroke engined mountain bikes.

There was an old lady on an electric bike but not the typical electric bike. This thing had little fat wheels with little wide mudguards -- chain guards -- looked very much like a Honda monkey bike with even smaller wheels.

The funniest thing of all was being quickly overtaken by a fast moving electric wheel chair -- seemed like a youngish doll that was on it, don't know if she was disabled or not but she was movin on down the road ( towpath )
I am here. Where are you?