Cairngorms Loop / Carousel

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
JohnWL

Cairngorms Loop / Carousel

Post by JohnWL »

Evening all,

A couple of weeks ago I did my first gravel/mtb tour for over 20 years.

It took me 4 days and is a great route. It is (subject to the Highland weather) well within the capabilities of any reasonably fit cyclist and I highly recommend this route - some 145 miles and just under 12,000ft of climbing in 4 days. Stunning scenery but rather wet - would have been easier if I did it this week but that is Scotland.

I did it as my training for the mtb/gravel bike route An Turas Mor (Glasgow to Cape Wrath) so if I didn't like the Cairngorm trip then there was no way I'd try ATM.

I did a blog : www.jlinwoodblog.wordpress.com

Happy to answer any questions. ATM next.

John
Pendodave

Re: Cairngorms Loop / Carousel

Post by Pendodave »

Thanks for this. I enjoyed the read.
A super minor grumble - is it possible to arrange the posts in the order of the journey? Maybe it's something I could have done myself, but I'm on my phone.
I've just started some off road trips, and this looks great. However the pushing might have got me down a bit - I always end up whacking my pedals against my ankles, which still brings a tear to my eye...
JohnWL

Post by JohnWL »

I think the posts not being in date order is not a minor grumble - I did years ago look up how to sort it but it was so complicated I gave up. However these things tend to get easier so I'll have another go.

The pushing was for some short distances difficult with the steep drop offs and very narrow tracks. But I enjoy walking so I rationalised it as a walk. The boggy bits won't be there now with all the dry weather so again it will be easier.

The calf whacking was a bit of a problem - I ended up with somewhat bruised and lightly bloodied after a few days but I was wearing shorts.

But overall I found cycling in these remote and beautiful areas, with no traffic, brilliant.
Peteattheback

Re: Cairngorm Loop / Carousel An Turas Mor

Post by Peteattheback »

Hi John et al,
Just finished the An Turas Mor MBT trail. Absolutely brilliant and we were lucky with the weather. Only one day of rain! Recommend that you use the An Turas Mor website https://www.anturasmor.co.uk/ Lots of helpful information about bikes, tyres, accommodation etc and also GPX files which we used. Also consider buying the ANT guidebook. We also started in Edinburgh as we live there and cycled up the Union canal to Falkirk Wheel then up Sustrans 76 to Callander to join the ATM route. I I would strongly recommend that you use a Garmin or equivalent or Ride with GPS or equivalent on your phone to navigate. Some of the glens and mountain passes are very remote and you do not want to get lost.
Good luck Peteattheback
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Well done Pete, did you bivvy / camp, or slum it in B&Bs, bothys, or hostels?