South Tyne Trail

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
tbuckland4

South Tyne Trail

Post by tbuckland4 »

Hi everyone.

I’ve brought my MTB away on holiday for the first time to the North Pennines, staying near Alston. I’ve been out on a couple of local trails already but I’ve read that it’s possible to cycle the length of the South Tyne Trail from the river source in the south all the way up to Haltwhistle.

This afternoon I tried to ride the trail south from Alston but couldn’t find where it started so instead took NCR 7 off the A686 hoping to pick the trail up at Garragil but again it was nowhere to be found!

I did find a footpath on to Pennine Way which suggested it joined up with South Tyne Trail but when I took that path I ended up in the middle of a junk yard facing off with an angry looking ram and there seemed to be no clear route through.

This is a pretty specific question and I realise it’s a long shot but I wondered if anyone was familiar with this area of the North Pennines and had any idea if it’s even possible to ride the whole of the South Tyne Trail end to end?

Cheers
Tom
Paulatic

Re: South Tyne Trail

Post by Paulatic »

Yes follow that Pennine way sign. Hang to the left up towards the dyke ( wall down there) through the scrap yard .
You can get a GPX of the route here https://tynetrailultra.com/route-maps-south/
It’s a great area I constantly return to first discovered all the off road roads with Tour of the North Pennines event which was originally organised by a man who knew every RoW in Northumberland. This was back in the 90s and sadly his name escapes me just now.
Whatever you do make sure you are cycling past the Wallace Arms around 5pm. Cracking wee pub :)
Last edited by Paulatic on 7 Jun 2021, 6:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Lookrider

Post by Lookrider »

https://www.northpennines.org.uk/locati ... yne-trail/

I guess you already searched this
Theres others under Alston cyle trials etc
The source if the tyne is south of garrigil
Theres a stone pillar with a spy hole in it which shows you the source
tbuckland4

Post by tbuckland4 »

That’s great thanks! The trail through the scrap yard ended in an awkward looking style but I guess I gave up too early. I may try the trail from the Alston end tomorrow which I believe picks up round the back of the youth hostel and see where I end up.

I’ve just done the other side of it this morning from Haltwhistle to Alston which was great! The trail maps need updating though as some party pooper has put a big fence across the end of Lambley Viaduct. Not the end of the world mind as you can pick the NCN 68 up close by and fly down a steep descent before the climb back up to Lambley village :shock:
Lookrider

Post by Lookrider »

The " house" on the viaduct is now in private hands
Hence why it is fenced off
Its a nice little exercise up and down those steps