County off-road catalogues.

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
ATB.pete

County off-road catalogues.

Post by ATB.pete »

What about getting together the info on bridlepaths in each county.
something like this

Grid reference - start and finish
General condition - overgrown/well maintained
Technical ability req'd

Am I being niave as to how hard this would be to catalogue?
gar

Re:County off-road catalogues.

Post by gar »

I wonder how much mapping has been done by the horse societies over the years.
Some of the people who go past here
are taking extraordinary routes for their long distance horse riding on bridlpaths.

One in Dorset is called the Dorset Gap, but I've never been able to find it or do it.

There is an intitative by Dorset CC to mark and popularise the Wessex ridgeway from Lyme regis to Ashmore Madonna, mainly on bridleways... but they are already well used by the long distance horse people. I'll do a little research.
gar

Post by gar »

www.somerset.gov.uk/somerset/ete/rightsofway/query/index.cfm?override=subtopic&infoid=1294

I hope that gets you to Somerset County council
which is a fairly typical website for the Counties
and shows what is available and how best to search.

They hold the archive. I went to a planning application to change an unadopted bridleway
RUPP to a public track for the sake of Purbeck cycleways, and the extent of the hstoriogtraphy of the county council Bridleways and footpaths
department is phenomenal.

I don't know how much you use Explorer maps
which they recommend. on the Somerset site

Gar

I shall look up the BHS and Bridleways Association sites for mapping archives.
gar

Post by gar »

www.ride-uk.org.uk/

I've always got on very well with horse riders as a cyclist, so the group linked here would probably be very glad to have a cyclist sub group working with them. You may know better.

There is such a vast network of Bridleways and byways that your enquiry is no surprise but the fact that Ride link above is only in the project stage certainly is a big surprise to me.

Am I right in thinking that horse and mountain off road bike are fairly similar in their needs
terrain wise?
gar

Post by gar »

www.rightsofway.org.uk/nfbafront.htm

This is the British federation of Bridleways Association. There is one in every county closely associated with the British horse society.

Your question is really one about the work of the County council footpaths and bridleways department, who are always delighted to help and are ceratinly members of the groups I have mentioned above.

I am sorry to quadruplicate in such a way.
I guess I could copy to clipboard to reduce the messages but it would take thinking quite hard about... and anyway....it's nuts and bolts...

"I always pretend my bike is a horse...."
travel writer.
gar

Post by gar »

BHS and Ride

Community Circuits

Community Circuits are circular routes, typically of length between five and fifteen miles. They will be of enormous benefit to local horse riders, as well as walkers and cyclists, who wish to enjoy leisure time in the country and to benefit from physical exercise. And they ensure that people can get off the roads. Community Circuits can be developed by parish, district and county councils; local bridleways associations and riding clubs; and of course, by other interested groups. They will be identified by locally chosen signage. .... ok ok ok!!
the_twin

Post by the_twin »

David Moxon who is on the CTC national council propsed such an exercise in a letter to the CTC mag a few months ago. He was looking for volunteers to assist in the process.
gar

Post by gar »

Quite the best thing would be to join the RIDE organisation above with a double portfolio
of CTC/RIDE membership.

Great things might then be achieved.

I notice that by no means all counties DO have a
Bridleways Association, whereas the counties that don't, may have quite vigorous off road cyclists groups.
the_twin

Post by the_twin »

I'm not sure that bridleways that are popular with horse riders are necessarily going to be good to ride a bike along, particularly if they are wet and muddy. Or even worse mud that has dried into a mass of small hoof-shaped craters.
gar

Post by gar »

Twin,
Are you interested in off road or aren't you??!!

In this area if there were such a Bridleways association /RIDE it would be totally obvious
where the common interests lies, at the mapping table.

Dorset does not have a Bridleways association
and if David Moxon wants volunteers for such
things that is where to start, a CTC member delegated to the RIDE project and also to start a Dorset Bridleways Association County group.

By way of example, I counted one of my FOOTPATHS for use some time ago, and I reached fairly conclusive evidence that it was used by about 12 people journeys per year.

Some bridleways are used to a greater degree on account of being bridleways say 100 journeys per year by a 20 people.

It is hard to believe that the whole system of footpaths and bridleways is kept open for such low useage. (Some useage is very high)

Is it worth bothering about mapping if so few people use them..??.... just get on with it and do the cycling in your own way.... cycle orienteering is a great sport.... for using the countryside.... the best.
the_twin

Post by the_twin »

Yes, I'm interested in riding off-road and have volunteered to help catalogue local provision. I'm not interested in sinking axle deep in mud that has been churned up by horses, however!

At the moment, there a a few areas which are very heavily used by mountain bikers and many where you hardly ever see anyone. It seems a good thing to open peoples' eyes to the rding possiblities in their loacl area.
gar

Post by gar »

I'm not interested in sinking axle deep in mud that has been churned up by horses, however!

but not carrying your bike over your choulder and running thru the mud... if you can! I see your point... does that mean you draw a line between off roading and orienteering?

There are such vast lengths of unused bridleway
that it can only be lack of interest, and unawareness..... by townee cyclists/walkers.
Si Davies

Post by Si Davies »

Did something along the lines that the OP suggests for the Lichfield area...

see the Routes->Lichfield BW network and Hopwas Woods on www.WMMTB.co.uk

Problem is that as soon as you describe anything some sod comes along and moves it or builds a road over it or ploughs it it, etc etc. Plus, even if it stays put it can change dramatically in character between summer and winter or even after a bit of rain. Plus, not having had much time to ride over the last couple of years it's difficult to get out on all the trails to check what condition they are in.
Simeon

Post by Simeon »

I just received this information at this link[url=http://]http://[/url]http://www.southlakesgroup.org.uk/offroadtrails.html about the off road trails project