Death of the simple 'Mountain Bike' ?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
cloggy

Post by cloggy »

I've had full sus rigid the lot. Last year I spent the whole time on a totally rigid 29er. I sold my hardtail and the full sus hasn't been out the house for a year. Depends where you ride. If you ride heavily used track then they tend to be rocky and full sus makes sense. I ride in midwales..
Neil Fat Man On A Bike

Post by Neil Fat Man On A Bike »

Regurgatron wrote:Interesting. I've been thinking of getting a old skool steel hardtail.

I've got an Orange Patriot but, frankly, it's a bit much for most rides, and one doesn't need much in the way of skill to drive it as long as you've the stones to hold on while it happily rolls over everything like a panzer tank.

Therefore, I'd like to get back to basics.

Question is, Charge Duster or Orange P7? Discuss.

Or save the money for kit and buy an On-one 456.
He said, bigging up my bike.
:wink:
£ 130ish for an excellent British design ( made in Tiawan ) but good quality non the less. Steel frames eh, excellent !
half cog

Re: Death of the simple 'Mountain Bike' ?

Post by half cog »

as a confirmed h/t user I would like to make the following point. before the advent of full sussers if you wanted to ride technical trails then you had to learn how to handle a bike. I am not sure that that is as rellevent as it was. I think that full suspension has done to mountain biking what digital photography did to film photography. Made it very simple and removed the need to develop high levels of skill. Years ago I watched a guy cross high street in the lakes on an old clockwork orange. It was sheer poetry. Fluid almost artistic. I was looking at someone who had developed a very high level of trail skill and a lot of years later that image has stayed with me.Now i suspect he would simply bounce over it all with the main of the skill in the hands of the suspension designer. Not totally against full sussers but its like saying you climbed Snowdon because you took the train up
Neil Fat Man On A Bike

Re:

Post by Neil Fat Man On A Bike »

Regurgatron wrote:
Si wrote:Erm, you have seem to have pictured the newer ones....from the question asked I assumed that he was after one of the originals...if you go look at some pics of them you'll see it was all different back in the day.

You've made a bad assumption - but it's my fault for not making myself clear. I meant old skool in that the bike is steel, but I want all the benefits of modern design. I'm not a masochist!

Anyway, no one riding a Charge Duster, then? How about an On-One 456? Or a Genesis Altitude?

Come on CTC forum - someone must have some constructive feedback on a steel hardtail.

I have the On-One 456 and an Orange 5 SE ( the least expensive on).
I like the orange, but I love the On-One.
It has a really good set of adjustable forks, It climbs well, it descends well. I actually think it's a better bike.
Certainly miles better than my last alluminium hard tail frame(hardrock sport) which certainly transfered a lot of 'buzz' and vibration.
The steel is much less jarring. Downsides, they are made in Tiawan, the paint is easily chipped ( but not as soft as the paint on the orange), the welds are workman like and I never wanted a red bike ( black or white bikes are faster :wink: ). What can I say, I love it and would highly recommend it. £124 ( when I got mine).....bargain !
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Support English frame builders:

Singular www.singularcycles.com

On-one www.on-one-shop.co.uk

Cotic www.cotic.co.uk

Steel hardtails are great. I love my Singular Swift SS.
Regurgatron

Post by Regurgatron »

For those of you who are interested*, I decided in the end to go for a titanium hardtail (Genesis Altitude).

It might be the novelty, but like a previous correspondent, I too have an Orange full susser (Patriot) and the Altitude is much more fun to ride.

* ie none of you.
paulcbuk

Post by paulcbuk »

Having started MTBing in the mid-80s when rigid was the only option, I now have an Orange P7 (hardtail) and a Specialized FSR XC Pro (full sus). Both are very good bikes and both have taken me around the MBR trail at Coed-y-Brenin (for example) quite happily. The full sus is more enjoyable on really rough rocky stuff, but even then I seem to ride "light" - suspension set softer than recommended for my weight and still not getting full travel - must be the rigid riding in my youth! I see too many people with full sus bikes just crashing through the scenery without letting the bike "flow" under them - is that what's meant by not gaining the core skills through riding rigid? I still maintain that the best suspension is arms and legs :)

If I had to keep just one bike, it would be the hardtail without a doubt. Much as I enjoy the Specialized, the P7 is a beautiful bike!
cloggy

Post by cloggy »

Magazines depend on advertising for their income not sales. There's better mark up on suss bikes, and they don't last as long and need more parts, and there's more bragging rights on having the latest design. So it's partly driven by the need to create income.
If I lived in the Peak District I'd ride full sus as the trails are worn down to bedrock and boulders. I live on the edge of Wales, with grassy trails. If I need suspension I'll put my suspension seatpost back on, otherwise I'll ride my 29er with or without front suspension. I'm an utter convert to 29ers. I'd never go back to 26" wheels.
rootes

Post by rootes »

gilesjuk wrote:Support English frame builders:

Singular http://www.singularcycles.com

On-one http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk

Cotic http://www.cotic.co.uk

Steel hardtails are great. I love my Singular Swift SS.

or more correctly support British designers and Taiwanese builders....

ps I have an XL size Swift - Rigid - great bike! Though looking at fitting some Rockshox REBA 100mm forks
workhard

Post by workhard »

the death of the simple mountain bike is much exaggerated. I'm seeing more full stiffy, quality HT, and retro singlespeeds on the trails these days and less with full 'technique compensators' fitted front and rear. Doesn't come much more simple than a home brewed SS MTB.
TheBrick

Post by TheBrick »

I saw plenty of rigid ss bike this w/e; but I was at SSUK09.
travelling

Post by travelling »

I have to say I agree the rumours of the death have been greatly exagerated

if anything thanks to places like retro bike and many of us old farts are buying bikes we remember from our youth and the rigid mountain bike is back on the rise

full sus has a place and it went on a bit like all newish waves of must haves but i feel rigids are holding their head way up high
I have the lightest bike in the world....then I put my fattest body in the world on it...the only pounds that have been lost are from my bank account
workhard

Post by workhard »

travelling wrote:if anything thanks to places like retro bike and many of us old farts are buying bikes we remember from our youth and the rigid mountain bike is back on the rise

seem to be lots locally who are just reaching back into the recesses and depths of their sheds and garages and dragging out into the sun the dusty cobwebbed steeds of yesteryear which were put there when more bouncy toys were bought or even tsk, tsk, when other hobbies led their owners astray. As one such said to me last weekend "this was a better bike than I was a rider in '94 and it hasn't got worse with age whilst I have"

I reckon there is a full blown retro revival under way as people discover the joy of 'ole fashioned plain and simple' mtb'ing with no ability/talent compensators fitted. love it.
hamster

Post by hamster »

They are also LIGHT. My Kona rigid singlespeed is around 21lb, compared to all-mountain full sussers which are the wrong side of 30lb.
I am not a weight-saving enthusiast and it has in general very normal vanilla components on it.
workhard

Post by workhard »

+1