Saddles

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
way_ahead

Saddles

Post by way_ahead »

I just completed my first off road challenge ride, 22 miles off road across moors and bridleways. Really enjoyed it, however I appear to have about a 15 mile backside. What saddles do other riders use?

I am a 16+ stone, 6'4" tall bloke
TerryHFS

Re:Saddles

Post by TerryHFS »

Hi There,

The problem is likely to stem partly from your style if you're new to riding off-road. Imagine a triangle formed of your hands, feet and bottom. Your weight should be distributed equally beyween these three points most of the time, but when off-road your bottom should take less of this load, unless you have a full suspension bike.

You'll learn to spot the times where you can sit down and the times where you can stand - typically uphill tends to involve more sitting, downhill tends to involve more standing (with your weight shifted back).

I tend to use road saddles, but everyone has their own preference. I use a Trimatic2 for shorter rides and a Rolls for longer rides.

Hope that helps ! Enjoy mountain biking !

Terry...
robin

Post by robin »

Specalized and SDG, make some good saddles.
check out this months 'What Mountain bike' magazine, they've got a load of saddles on test.
bikerdave

Post by bikerdave »

The SDG Bel-air is the best xc saddle i've ever had and has come top in magazine tests several times.
dave
gar

Post by gar »

you may fimnd your inside thigh muscles flex up
for next time so that you "hold " the saddle better.

I always found that, after a lay off. Instinctively nobody wants pain and saddle soreness can be very painful. The muscles soon find a way. I f they don't, then an investment has to be made....

I always found that the harder the saddle the better I liked it, even for a long run. That way I sat on my inside thigh muscles and not on the bone (symphatic or similar). If you have a fat
saddle or a soft saddle... there is more to rub against... and more pain....