Off-road commutes....

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Snakes

Off-road commutes....

Post by Snakes »

Living within the Surrey Hills, I know I'm fortunate to have numerous off-road routes to work. One of my favourite journeys was from Cranleigh to Godalming. I could and did use the Downslink, the river Wey, the bridleways over Hascombe Hill to mention just a few of the options I had.

I also had a commute from Ash Vale to Godalming, across Ash Ranges (when allowed), and around the edge when not. A Byway, a short section of the Christmas Pie route, then Bridleway over the Hogs Back to Puttenham...

Anyway, before I ramble on... I wonder how many of you are fortunate enough to have a pleasent off-road commute, where the route takes you, Bike you use etc...?

I guess I'm writing this partially on the basis that we've always got road commute topics on the go on the forum, and I thought it would be nice to find out about peoples off-road commuting for a change...

Snakes
Si

Re: Off-road commutes....

Post by Si »

I used to do a bit of MTB type off road (as opposed to cycle track type off road) at one time. But only on the way home - no showers at work meant that risking getting muddy on the way in wasn't worth it. For this I used an rigid MTB with Tri-bars on it for the road bits.

Now my commute takes me down various cycle paths and a bit of canal, although it's still mostly road. Using the road bike on this nearly killed the bike - have now started using a slick tyred rigid MTB with guards and rack.
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

I have it as an option. But it means getting up earlier and my body clock isn't set too early at the moment.

The last 2 or 3 miles are the boring part as I have to go onto the road and with a singlespeed mountain bike it is pretty slow going.
kenny533

Post by kenny533 »

I volunteered his year to become a rural police cyclists. We had two great days in sunny Warwickshire completing the Police National Course, during which I came off three times - once coming down steps, once coming to a sudden halt in deep water and the last time on the obstacle course.
The issued kit is a bit hit and miss, and we have Specialized Hard Rock bikes.
Since then, I have been cycling about 15 miles a day, along the canal tow paths mainly, I have come down from 17st 9lbs to 13st 11lbs in six months.
Happy to say that although I hadnt been on a bike previously since school (!) I am now well and truly bitten by the cycling bug.
Si

Post by Si »

Sounds good Kenny.

the police's use of bikes seems to be bringing benefits around here - not long ago I saw one copper chase down and catch a yoof who was carving up the park and pavements on a mino moto thing - the look on his face when he realised that a bobby on a bike had caught him was worth paying to see!

they (the police and the CSOs) also seem to be talking to a lot more people - before they were on the bikes I hardly ever saw one out of his or her car. Now I often see them out, stopping for a chat with people, and generally being much more approachable.
kenny533

Post by kenny533 »

Si,

The cycling bug, although coming late in life has probably prolonged my life, and certainly reignited my interest in fitness activities.

Although we have to wear bright yellow body armour covers and have 'POLICE' written all over us in bold black lettering, the yobs still can't pick us out in the crowd from other cyclists.

The drug dealers we now catch in big towns in the act has risen dramiticaly. At nights too the cycles prove their worth as the burglars and car thieves can hear a police diesel car coming blocks away, but the bikes catch them out time and time again.

We have also been taught how to use our bikes to defend ourselves if attacked - all very clever stuff - and I must say that motorists are brilliant with us, affording us plenty of respect. A bit different to when I am riding off duty unfortunately?????
rbrian

Post by rbrian »

kenny533 wrote:... we have to wear bright yellow body armour covers and have 'POLICE' written all over us in bold black lettering...

...I must say that motorists are brilliant with us, affording us plenty of respect. A bit different to when I am riding off duty unfortunately?????

'Nuff said.
Cynic? No, an optimist tempered by experience.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

I tried commuting the eight miles into Manchester along the Bridgewater Canal towpath. It took just over twice as long as my road commute.