Replacing XT crankset parts is expensive

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
sean65

Replacing XT crankset parts is expensive

Postby sean65 » 11 Mar 2010, 7:43am

Hi guys,

I've just spent £85 on a middle and outer chainrings for my XT crankset. Quite expensive really. Now the cups need replacing +£40. And just for added expense the left crank arm now needs replacing due to a bodged drilling effort to dislodge a seized bolt + £60. :lol:

£185 in total.

A quick google search shows XT cranksets available as low as £127. SLX £89. :shock:

I think I'll just cut my loses with the £85 I spent on rings and buy a new SLX set.

Why is it so expensive to buy spares for a crankset that's already been updated? I'd have thought they would have been pleased to sell the speares off cheap to get rid of the stock. :?

hamster

Re: Replacing XT crankset parts is expensive

Postby hamster » 11 Mar 2010, 1:54pm

Firstly, don't buy Shimano rings. They appear to be made of silvered cardboard and don't last, as well as being crushingly expensive. TA or Stronglight last several times longer.

I have no idea why the whole crank is cheaper, but there you go.

fraxinus

Postby fraxinus » 11 Mar 2010, 6:02pm

Just guessing here. It might be that they have to make a profit on each ring instead of the whole chainset. Eg if you were to buy all of the components to make a bike it would cost a lot more than if you just bought the bike because they make a profit on each component where as they only have to make a profit on the one bike. Another reason is that it is a bloomin rip off.
So many bike rides so little time

irc

Postby irc » 11 Mar 2010, 6:05pm

How much weight does XT save over Deore Hollowtech for £50 at CRC? Part of the weight penalty is that the Deore has steel inner and middle rings which for touring I consider an upgrade over aluminium.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?

hamish

Postby hamish » 14 Mar 2010, 11:34pm

I had the same problem on my SLX.

I reversed the inner ring - that worked. Then I bought a middleburn middle ring which is doing OK. Now my 18 month old jockey wheels on the rear mech are completely shot.

I spend a fortune on MTB spares - disk pads - about 6 to 8 sets (2 pairs) a year at £30 a go!

I can't work out whether paying for quality MTB stuff is worth it or not. It all wears out so fast!

glueman

Postby glueman » 18 Mar 2010, 8:08pm

New MTB equipment does wear quickly. My 2008 Deore hasn't worn anything like as well as older equipment. I have a 1990 XT chainset on a roadbike that still has its original rings (turned), ditto a Campag MTB set. The 98 Shimano triple on a Hardrock is still going strong many chains, blocks and its third set of wheels later.
New Shimano chainrings and blocks are made of chewing gum. On anything below XT it's cheaper to buy a new chainset in the sales than a couple of rings - planned obsolescence in action.

gilesjuk

Postby gilesjuk » 3 Apr 2010, 1:43pm

That's due to them often using aluminium. Steel rings wear better but go rusty, it's only a cosmetic blemish though.

BuzzieCat

Postby BuzzieCat » 8 Sep 2011, 10:55am

I had the same problem on my SLX.

I reversed the inner ring - that worked. Then I bought a middleburn middle ring which is doing OK. Now my 18 month old jockey wheels on the rear mech are completely shot at Pondok Cerita
Last edited by BuzzieCat on 5 Jun 2013, 3:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

CREPELLO

Postby CREPELLO » 8 Sep 2011, 5:07pm

Buy your replacement rings at Roseverand. About half the price of Uk prices. And don't bother with XT - Deore's just as good. £28 - total cost to replace my Deore rings. Could have been less - as someone up thread says, just reverse the inner ring.

Regurgatron

Postby Regurgatron » 8 Sep 2011, 9:45pm

I'd recommend Middleburn chainrings. I replaced my XT rings with Middleburns a year ago. They're great value.

ratherbeintobago

Postby ratherbeintobago » 10 Sep 2011, 12:20pm

Now my 18 month old jockey wheels on the rear mech are completely shot.

If it's any comfort, a pair of SRAM X.0 jockey wheels lasted <9 months (albeit riding in Pennine grinding paste)

And don't bother with XT - Deore's just as good

The cassettes aren't and have a tendency to chew non-steel freehubs eg. Hope.

Andy