Are elbow and knee/shin pads worth it?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
san0

Are elbow and knee/shin pads worth it?

Postby san0 » 26 Mar 2010, 9:38pm

I'm about to take up off-road riding on a Cube (when it finally arrives - been on order for ages). I'm hoping to do a lot of rough stuff in woods and try to gain confidence in riding off road terrain - maybe not off cliffs and drops, or big bmx dirt jumps - too scared!
Is it silly to invest in MTB gear like elbow pads and knee pads -(could i just us my Bauer knee pads from my Rollerblade set? or my football shin pads?)
Would i look stupid and over protected among the group of off-roaders at the CTC club rides.

Si

Re: Are elbow and knee/shin pads worth it?

Postby Si » 27 Mar 2010, 1:08pm

I've never bothered with such pads...I get the odd scrape but nothing that worries me much, indeed, I've gotten worse from road riding. I did have some DH trousers (kevlar fronts and padded hips - the old Greg Hairball ones), but apart from saving me from the odd nettle sting they didn't really make any noticeable difference. But, if you feel happier with pads then I'd say use them; who cares what other people wear - it's your ride.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 27 Mar 2010, 1:45pm

I was hoping this thread was going to flare up into the Great Pad Debate. (Compulsion -vs- choice. Etc.)

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 27 Mar 2010, 1:54pm

i'm all for compulsory knee pads. it's ridiculous in this day and age that people should partake in such a dangerous passtime as cycling, and then not wear them. as for those so called parents who let their kids out on bikes without their knees protected, the state should take those kids into care where they're cared for properly. if i drove into one of those children and hurt their knee, i'd feel a bit upset, but not nearly as angry as i would be at the partents for letting the little ones out unprotected.

please sign below.

petitionnotenwithtodaysnonsensicalmailesqueramblings.co.uk

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 27 Mar 2010, 2:57pm

The scaremongering DfT childrens pages had (?have) a cyclists page and they considered helmet, reflectives gloves, knee and elbow pads compulsory and you could not "pass" their online test.

squeaker

Postby squeaker » 27 Mar 2010, 3:45pm

san0 wrote:Is it silly to invest in MTB gear like elbow pads and knee pads -(could i just us my Bauer knee pads from my Rollerblade set? or my football shin pads?)
Yes :roll: Just get out and ride 8) If you get into downhilling in a big way you might need some extra kit, but a decent pair of gloves will do for now :wink:
"42"

Neil Fat Man On A Bike

Postby Neil Fat Man On A Bike » 27 Mar 2010, 6:29pm

If you ride using flat pedals with studs or spikes(commonly called shin spitters), then shin pads would be recomended.
Riding with spuds I wouldn't bother. Gloves would be wise too.

gilesjuk

Postby gilesjuk » 28 Mar 2010, 3:54pm

All the injuries I've sustained have usually been on the legs.

KiyoTatsu

Postby KiyoTatsu » 11 May 2010, 4:48pm

I always used to just have my head protected, my knees and my hands but since I've been riding with spiky peddles I've caught my shins going down bomb holes...twice :oops: I'm getting shin guards next xD

Regieuk

Postby Regieuk » 23 May 2010, 12:39pm

I have been Mbiking for about 6 months now, when I started being new I had a few tumbles and scrapes, and also got bit by the peddles a few times! I didn't wear pads to start and now have some interesting scars on my legs!!
I now wear shin and knee guards and these have a few dinks where they have saved me from further injuries, as I progress my skills they are less needed but I still wear them. Worth while for when the brain says yes but the body does not have the ability!! (Often in my case!!)

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 23 May 2010, 2:37pm

thirdcrank wrote:I was hoping this thread was going to flare up into the Great Pad Debate. (Compulsion -vs- choice. Etc.)

You jest....see above.

The "Hedgehog "DfT" website used to have a"game" om how to get ready for riding your bike..... Helmet , HiViz and knee / elbow pads were all considered mandatory!

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 23 May 2010, 2:52pm

Cunobelin wrote:... You jest...

You noticed! I should have made it clear with a little wink -> :wink:

(What's really worrying me is that when I saw your quote of my earlier post, I thought it had been dug up from something like 2007, but it's only a couple of months. Now, where did I leave my bike? :? )

chiwoman

Postby chiwoman » 13 Jun 2010, 8:49pm

Have been mountain biking two years now and have started to wear elbow pads after two elbow smashes. Using spds means my legs dont seem to leave the bike as much as my elbows. My helmet has saved my face twice and I am seriously considering a full face helmet.
But it depends on what kind of mountain biking you are doing...bimble about off road, no need for pads...hurtling downhill over rocks GET protection! :D

san0

Postby san0 » 13 Jun 2010, 9:12pm

2 months into my new off road experience, and i now wear football shin pads with built-in ankle socks. They have saved me a few times from pedal slips and stinging nettles and insect bites. I wear football socks over them. The sort of riding is mainly via woods and some technical trails.

rbrian

Postby rbrian » 13 Jun 2010, 11:48pm

I don't think any of my injuries would have been saved by elbow and knee pads. Shin pads maybe, but I always drew more blood from the calf - do they make calf pads? I've done more damage to my hands working on the bike than I have falling off it, so protective gloves whilst wielding a screwdriver are essential. I doubt any body armour would have prevented me breaking my arm in two places, only checking the angle of that ramp first, and being aware of the lip which threw my back wheel over my head.
Cynic? No, an optimist tempered by experience.